Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

A rip off me thinks

I would have asked for a price first, then I would of made a decision on wether to drive around all day until I found someone friendly enough to do it as a favour.

£10 = packet of fags & almost a pint of beer.

Dave..

Margaret Thatcher started the someting for something more attitude.

Frank

If just one of the current bunch of lilly-livered, limp-wristed liberal politicians had an ounce of Margaret Thatcher's strength of character and conviction, England wouldn't be in the mess it is today and the laughing stock of the rest of the world!

Talk about twists and turns. This has been an entertaining thread, and an interesting one too. In all honesty Chris, I do think a tenner was a bit steep. A fiver would have been closer to the mark maybe. But there isn't a set fee table for this stuff. I pulled dozens of people out of the snow this weekend and only two paid me.

A Jeep firmly embedded in a drift with two mates in Discos who couldn't get him out. I winched off a tree and dragged him with me. Freezing blizzard, straps and tackle all over the place. All I got was beep beep and 'Cheers' And that's all I'd expect, one 4x4 driver to another
A white van stuck on the flat. I offered him a pull to the main road and before I could say 'ready', he'd shoved a tenner in my hand. "this is work, mate" he said. "I'll get it back off the business."
An elderly couple stranded for 2 hours with at least 6 other 4x4's in attendance non of who could get him out. We can't find a tow point they all said. I got my shovel and dug a snow hole under the car and slithered in on my back, found the hook and lay there for sometime until we were rigged up. So quite some effort. Once he was out, he bunged me a tenner. Nothing to the others who'd been there all that time. So how did they feel? No idea.
I pulled a snow plough out. Got nothing - well why should I, he was working for the same common good that I was.
Rescued a farmer in his Landy - first thing he said as I pulled up and offered help was "I'm sorry I can't give you anything" I wasn't going to say well in that case you can p*** off.

It's an odd world and a bit like tipping in a restaurant. You don't in Maccy D, nor in the chippy. But you might in a (proper) restaurant maybe not in a cafe. I went into a self service all you can eat type place in Watford and when I got the bill they asked me if I wanted to tip, so I gave my self a tenner for being absolutely awesome. Honestly, I was brilliant. Got just what I wanted when I wanted it.

So these rules are, there are no rules, except the ones in your own head and they only matter when they aren't the same as those that other people have. So maybe the amount he charged you wasn't in relation to how much his time was etc, but reflected how much grief he knew he'd saved you.

Maybe I should drink less coffee.

Chris

If just one of the current bunch of lilly-livered, limp-wristed liberal politicians had an ounce of Margaret Thatcher's strength of character and conviction, England wouldn't be in the mess it is today and the laughing stock of the rest of the world!
:thumbup:

Isn't it funny how politics can divide people. Who is going to vote for a state funeral for Mrs Thatcher then? The reason we don't make anything in this country anymore is that she allowed all the factories to close. There must have been a better way out of the position we were in at the time. Oh yes I forgot "me first" ending up with the crisis we are all in in this country. Those who think we are safe compared with what happened last weak in Cyprus might want to be more cautious.

Frank

Don't we have to wait until she dies Frank?

Don't answer that.

it does depend on which side of the fence you sit. You could argue that t was the unions that did this. They became stronger and stronger, held employers to ransom and wages got hiked to an unsustainable point making industry unviable. How long would we have continued with cheaper imports. No demand - no sales, no business. Simple economics. The unions promised jam today and more jam tomorrow I'm afraid. Thatcher or not, it was never going to end well. I worked in industry back then and it was privately owned. Our union used to go in for 5% promising a firm voice. They'd come out with .5% like we knew they would. But we knew we'd still have a job. Directors didn't get new cars and thee were no parties. Guess what - that foundry is still going today. What I learned back then was that once of a time the words Made in Hong Kong were a joke. Synonymous with cheap low quailty tat. What we did was take our eye of those tiger economies and before we knew it China, Japan, Korea were making better things than we were because we'd let them have our technology. I knew a bloke who invented a new golf club head. He couldn't get it made anywhere in Europe. Every obstacle was in his way. He went to Korea in the end and visited a pressure casting foundry. He showed them the head, 'Come back tomorrow they said' 'They'll be ready after lunch'

I never met Maggie nor knew her in any way, but I think she was strong. That doesn't make here wrong or right, just strong. I personally would not vote for a state funeral for her, nor many people really. At the end of it all, she was just someone doing a job, like you and I. In the same way, I don't believe in knighthoods for people just doing their jobs either, certainly not over a short period. Just being excellent for a time isn't sufficient grounds. Unless of course you are clearly a celebrity.

Bah grumble grumble. Humbug. What's this got to do with Landcruisers

C

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Glad you are backing Wales Clive. My mother was born and bred in Amanford. I visit friends in Wales and it is still like that in the rural parts.

Margaret Thatcher started the someting for something more attitude. When I worked on my projects in 60's and even early 80's I often needed weird things making and if you went round the back of a factory the lads would make it for a round or two. The bosses knew but it was a perk for the lads. It was a well known and widely practised thing. When I needed bigger and more complicated stuff doing I was helped by the MD of a huge factory in West Brom. He was a stranger but I just knocked on his door. He welcomed me and we used to go through the drawings and he would say it will be good for the apprentices. He only charged a nominal sum. Unfortunately all that is gone. The days of the one off characters and unusual behaviour are over. We are all being shaped as in supermarket carrots.

Frank

One old fella in "my" village two doors from me didn't speak or understand any English at all, he was 90 years old. Through a neighbour, I used to chat with him because his walk to the only shop in the village passed my house and he used to stop for a breather against my garden wall. I asked him if he'd ever been to England and he said "NO!" very emphatically, " I went to Swansea once" he said! I was very surprised...

The concept of industry has changed dramatically since my schooldays. All trades then started with apprentiships, and the respective companies' appreciated the value of early training on the job. You'r very right that the local manager had the power to decide how those apprentiships were managed and your recallection of "side jobs" being good training and perks for the boys was commonplace. Trouble now is, those management decisions are now corporate, and in the deparate financial situation they are all facing, theres no room for apprentiships, perks or jobs on the side. There's little scope for any manufacuring in the UK now and soon it will all be gone, if there's any left at all.

I used to work at Landrover and you could always get something "knocked-up in the shop". That's all gone now, of course. On the other side of the coin, I know for a fact that milliond of pounds were lost in the British Leyland days due to petty and sometimes wholesale pilfering, outside work being done in the workshops and all sorts. Guys in the trim shop had "bedrooms" made up in the stores area, slept most of their shifts doing nothing at all, and sadly at the cost to the taxpayer, which had to be wrong...

Times have changed, some things for the better, but... the rest is history.

We're all carrots now? A good similie... :icon-wink:

What you say about the unions back then is absolutely true Chris, I was a shop steward in our union during Thatcher's reign.
Even as a union man I have always maintained unions are a necessary evil but they do have too much power.
Churchill got a state funeral, was he any better than Maggie :think: I think he just had a very good scriptwriter, but he got turfed out in the end too. I think she deserves one. :clap:

Crikey chaps...I wasn't looking to start a revolution here I just thought a tenner was a little pricey for crimping on a single stop. :lol::lol:

Then again by all means keep going. I wouldn't mind a cruiser driver as PM, It would definately bring the cost of Derv down a shade.

I started life after school as an apprentice in engineering. Then I found I was no good at maths and tried farming. Was too good at maths for that :icon-biggrin: so did valuation/surveying. I spent a long time in the Civil Service in the Valuation office where everybody was in the union but I refused to join and was blacklegged. Water off a ducks back. They used to have their silly little meetings every month whilst I kept on working. My dad was in a closed shop at GAC where he fitted out the Meteor jet planes. When he was forced to down tools he could not remember where some of his stuff was when he went back to work. So planes used to take off with some of his tools in the control wire tunnels. Some other people in the union couldn't care less so he left under the stress of it all.

Frank

Frank

It is a cracking thread. Well done for getting it going Chris.

Frank - I know I shouldn't laugh, but the bit about yer Dad downing tools and not remembering where just hit my funny bone.

It is a cracking thread. Well done for getting it going Chris.

Frank - I know I shouldn't laugh, but the bit about yer Dad downing tools and not remembering where just hit my funny bone.

"Left rudder flight lieutenant"

"I can't, there's a 2 pound lump hammer under my foot and a jemmy jamming the cables"

"what damn fool left them in here then?"

"Dunno, but I blame the unions!"

Sorry, but after Chris' post, I couldn't resist Frank...!

"Left rudder flight lieutenant"

"I can't, there's a 2 pound lump hammer under my foot and a jemmy jamming the cables"

"what damn fool left them in here then?"

"Dunno, but I blame the unions!"

Sorry, but after Chris' post, I couldn't resist Frank...!

Thanks Clive that's the first time I have laughed out loud whilst watching Emmerdale.

I must say that being under 30 I have little idea about Mrs.T. The only thing I really remember is how She got screwed over by John Major. But now I have to be thankful to her as without her I would not be living in the house I have now. Nor would alot of people I think.

The only thing I really remember is how She got screwed over by John Major.

Thought that was Edwina Currie? Or was that something different. I can't remember eggsactly.

C

My poor dad had to put up with the unions at work and then me when they sent him home. One day I had ridden my tricycle into the side of the house to see if I could break the wall but the frame broke. He used to cycle 6 miles to GAC in the morning and even came home for lunch. So next day he disappears over the horizon cycling to work with my tricycle under his right arm and comes back with it like new. Another job done on the side. I must say aircraft factories make a very good job on tricycles.

The more laughs the better chaps. All water under the bridge now but it was bad at the time.

Frank

My Dad was Consultant Surgeon, so there weren't really many opportunities to get things done on the side. But we did have access to quite a lot of plaster of Paris which was handy for my train layout. Lots of hills and tunnels. Mind you there were all shaped either like a leg or an arm

C

My Dad was Consultant Surgeon, so there weren't really many opportunities to get things done on the side....

Nothing on the side you say?? What about the front or back then?? Neurological? Oh - that was it, wasn't it? :lol:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Wise Guys, huh?

Well I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. He wasn't a brain surgeon. Oh, you can tell.

Right Stockton, that's the last time I do YOU any favours!

Back