Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Air con idler pulley...........

Hi SC

Hope this helps

20170901_161352.jpg 20170901_161343.jpg 20170901_161216.jpg

Just replaced the tensioner pulley and bearing assembly on mine @259,000 miles. I got mine via 4x4 parts in France, professional discount made it a no brainer rather than faff about with the bearing.

Regards

Dave

Hmm, thanks Dave, I can't see the idler either but I had a look at their other prices and :scared-eek: .
Maybe you got lucky with the idler being old stock in a clearance or something.

Think I'll machine it out and re bearing it.

Rich, haven't looked back but I'm sure I posted on this. Tensioner costs more than a kidney. Bearing cost threepence. The original is staked in, in three places I think. I popped mine in the lathe and just skimmed that away without touching anything else. Popped the bearing out, pushed a new one on and that was it. There's no need to re-stake it. The washer and bolt actually holds the bearing in place. I've done three of these. Two minute job. I even got Barry to update the description on Roughtrax. But got the bearings from Bearings are us.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes, I do remember you posting on this one Chris and your fix was my intended route.
You don't happen to have the bearing number do you? Says he just about to search for your post.

Chris is right, the staking is in three places, and an easy fix, I just ordered and fitted as the price was sensible (for me). Perhaps old stock but an OE part, unsure what Mr T charges?

Regards

Dave

I do Rich, I have one still in its packet. I'll find it and post. You can get it from RT but whilst cheap is still not as cheap as getting one elsewhere.

http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/air-con-tensioner-bearing-80-series.html

Actually looking at my account the number is 63012 But you can have a range of different ones with rubber shielding, metal etc. It matters little really.

The complete part form Mr T iirc was over £75

£75…Ouch!
I'll get a couple ordered. I don't recognise that number though Chris, it's not 6301 by any chance with the 2 being 2RS? If so I may have one or more in stock as the 6301 is quite a common bearing.

Sorry Rich I pasted it from my account records. Yes the 2 is supplementary. 12x12x37

I've just seen early on in this thread the number is mentioned :doh:and I've just confirmed I don't have one in stock. Off to order one.

Well it seems the idler was a red herring! Although a tad wiggly that was it's only fault.

The red dust is, as originally suspected, coming from the AC compressor clutch as it seems the friction material has worn so thin it is holding metal to metal. I can't remember if I changed the complete clutch and pulley over from my old one or elected to use the new clutch. Either way it looks like I need a new pulley. AC belt removed for the time being.

The clutch doesnt have any material, it is metal on metal. So a bit of rust dust is normal if not used for a while. Worth checking the clutch gap though as the metal wears over time. Check the gap with a business card. If too large it can slip, so need to change the shim behind it to a thinner one.

Mine has pisshed all it's gas out through the seals recently and now has stopped working. I can't really afford a new pump. I could do with rebuilding really. It was working great and I'd replaced the drier and condenser. But like all things old, the new weak point is the pump; which is now green.

The clutch doesnt have any material, it is metal on metal. So a bit of rust dust is normal if not used for a while. Worth checking the clutch gap though as the metal wears over time. Check the gap with a business card. If too large it can slip, so need to change the shim behind it to a thinner one.
That's odd, mine seems to have (had) a ring of clutch lining material set into the pulley. The clutch plate itself is only metal.
IMG_2486.JPG

I did stuff a feeler gauge in to give some indication and it was closer by a smidge than what was mentioned in the Frankenstein thread which I deemed to be ok.

Last edited:
I've an idler pulley to replace, likely this week and will see (once get my dash all back together - due to aerial coax that ain't pulling thru with radio aetenna needing replacing) if thats my issue or if need to did into A/C compressor

Back