Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Air intake oddity?

wobbly

Garage
Whilst problem solving the engine underheating problem on my LJ78, I noticed something unusual with the air intake pipework.

Its a 2.4 LT/E.

The air intake is in the o/s/f wing, it then runs to a large air filter canister, which in turn feeds the turbo/air intake.

Between the filter box and intake, a second smaller pipe runs from the air pipe down the side of the filter box where it ends just at the front.

This smaller pipe has a cap in the end blocking it off?

I thought this may be something to do with jap emissions regs needing more air, or possibly its some sort of wading plug (bit high if it is, as the truck doesnt have a snorkel!).

Can anyone enlighten me as to the pipes purpose, and whether it should be blocked off?

Cheers

Pete

It's called an air intake resonator, no idea what the function is apart from resonating.

i removed that length of pipe when i recently fitted my intercooler as it was in the way of the new pipe work.

removing it hasnt had any adverse effect. :?

Googled what you said, its part of the emissions set up - apparently if emissions are high a valve system introduces oxygen to the exhaust system, thus reducing said emissions - this resonator stops it, well, resonating if that happens!

Cheers

Pete

It's also known as a 'boom box' which makes sense.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'm going to leave it on, things got enough rattles without adding a baseline accompaniment!

Cheers

Pete

Back