Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Alternator charging light stays on??

Danie Smit

Country Flag
south_africa
My alternator charging light stays on in the vehicle.
I have replaced the regulator twice but same thing, today i replaced the diode pack or rectifier and still on.
Checked the plug on the back of alternator , all looks fine.
Tested the stator windings and slip rings all are fine.

There are this noise on the radio as if a suppressor is not working but the battery keeps charging..

Any help please

Are you getting over 14 volts when the engine is running?

Don't run the car without the battery connected, it can do harm
What is the voltage with the car running (with the battery connected as it should be)
If the IGN light stays on it is usually not charging

did you check the charge and ign fuse?
charge 80 HD-FT.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The red charge light in the 80 not only warns of low voltage or output. It will also light up when the alternator is over charging.

Regards

Dave

Hi Dave

Yes see that it is overcharging.
I changed the diode pack. and the regulator again.
When i mesure it now it is charging at 14.7 volt.

So need to replace regulator again or just get a new alternator?

I would suspect the volt sense connection from the 'S' terminal via a fusible link direct to the battery. It looks like the alternator can't see battery voltage. If the alternator is kicking out a good charge and you've changed everything in it that can be faulty I would say the fault lies elsewhere, I.e. Check fuses, fusible links and connections as in the diagram that Firewout posted.

14.7 volts is not that far off base, the 80 alternator unregulated puts out 17 volts, so some control is in place.

Assuming a digital multimeter, is it a reliable brand i.e. a Fluke or similar? If not digital and is a moving coil type ignore it.................unless it is an 'AVO'.

Even assuming the meter was super accurate you are.3 of a volt over, don't sweat it.

Quickest way to destroy an alternator is removing the charge lead and run the engine.

Regards

Dave

Back