Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Alternator

alliston

Just been looking at alternator for my 1990 landcruiser on roughtrax and milners. You can get the 80amp ones but only for the oval fitting and the 70 amp in the round fitting.my question is could I jump the wires so I don't have to plug the plug actually into the back of the alternator. If I could would it be a straight swap DSC_0025_2.JPG

The plugs create a waterproof connection. You can buy them separately from Toyota. Check their alternator price as well. Some items from Toyota are cheaper than elsewhere now. Ask for a discounted quote.

Can I change the regulator on the rear with mine so the plug will be the same

You need to purchase the correct plug and graft it to those wires (on the car), i.e. solder and adhesive heat shrink to finish the job. Looking at that picture I would say you originally had an oval plug and someone fitted the wrong alternator, then cut the plug off and done the (with respect) bodge that you have there.

regards

Dave

I done that but I taped the loom up with insulation tape as the plug wound not click into the back of the alternator it was just a quick fix as it was getting late and I needed the car for work the next day. What are the 3 wires in the plug for. ie what colour does what

Wires

I believe the three wires are:

S - Senses battery voltage
Ig - Ignition switch signal, effectively turns alternator on
L - Grounds warning lamp on dash.

Looking at the plug on the loom of my 1991 80 (which has the round plug the colours (faded but my best guess...) are as follows:

S - White
Ig - White/Yellow
L - Blue.

The Ig (left) and L (right) tabs are parallel to each other with the S tab above at 90 degrees. Hope that makes some sense to you.

Using your colours I think the connections you have made on the alternator are:

Brown S - Senses battery voltage
Red Ig - Ignition switch signal, effectively turns alternator on
Blue L - Grounds warning lamp on dash

You can check this by tracing the wires. Disconnecting/reconnecting the Red (L) wire will confirm if it is the L connection as the warning lamp should go off and on (with ignition on). The Brown (S) should go to the nearest battery. 12v should appear at Ig (Blue) when the ignition is switched on. Good luck...

I bought one of these converters but have not used it yet so have not checked to see if it is x-wired correctly:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261749979679?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I have checked now and it was NOT x-wired correctly. I had to switch the L and S connections...

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back