Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Android and OS maps

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
Just been having a play with some of the free offerings for OS maps. Very nice... OS atlas lite seems good. There us another which allows you to load your own maps.

Android tablet and maps... car pc days are numbered :)

Sent from TapaTalk

May be getting my grubby paws on a Blackberry tablet shortly to play with - will see how that goes with maps and the GPS dongle jobbie!

Sounds like Android is the way to go.
Do you have some kind of holder/bracket/install-thingy for the tab?
Had a look at the Samsung Tab. Looks good.
Have had a number of palms... - Android must be the next best thing :mrgreen:

As some are aware I've spent some time rescently looking into getting some form of OS maps into Fiery & was & still am very keen on the S7000 from Memory Map :mrgreen: But @ something around £5/600 it's a tad pricey :sick: :) During my research I stumbled over a good offering of Android tablets from Maplin starting @ only £130 and going up to a 10" screen size :D I then also looked @ OS maps for the same & for me the plug & play useabilty option came down to FUGAWI only as MM are not planning on supporting Android OS's due to the difficulty with regards product licencing or something :? Anyways as you say Crispin I think in less than a year we will be seeing a huge change in the way we use mobile computing :mrgreen: :D And the sooner the better :thumbup:

Back Country navigator seems to allow an offline mode (i.e. you can load your own maps). The other versions download the maps from (forget company's name) as you scroll around. This is pointless a lot of the time as you'll need a good signal to make it workable.

The PC that I have in my car pretty much does nothing most of the time. When it is used, it is used for MM. If I can get that on something else, I would be happy with that.

The Galaxy would probably be the best offering at the moment because of it's screen. That thing is bright and very clear. Nothing touches it ATM.
Personally though, I'll hang around for the 10 inch versions; the galaxy is not _that_ big and I've been told size does matter.... :cool:

Gary, you taken to writing apps now as well? If you get a bluecurrent then you'll have to write your own stuff ;)
What made you opt for that?

Personally though, I'll hang around for the 10 inch versions; the galaxy is not _that_ big and I've been told size does matter.... :cool:

Crispin, nice to hear your wife is still talking to you :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
So playing with Locus now. Dogs proverbial danglies.

You can download all the highest detail maps to your phone. Does work out to 365Gb for the UK.

Do far, looks like w winner as its free...

Sent from TapaTalk

Sorry to have my luddite hat on again but can someone explain what this adenoid thing is all about please? I hear it bandies bout on here with respect to phones too... :oops:

much like the iphone and apple this is just another type of phone or operating system on the phone. Android is from Google and, some would say, going to overtake iphone. I don't know, I don't really care which is better - Andriod just works for me and is not part of the iClone family :p

What phone do you have?

Okee dokes, sounds okay. And this migrates into pc's?

N95...

Crispin said:
So playing with Locus now. Dogs proverbial danglies.

You can download all the highest detail maps to your phone. Does work out to 365Gb for the UK.

Do far, looks like w winner as its free...

Sent from TapaTalk

So does it do the OS mapping that we need for off road?

it is memory map. Same maps. Not played any more with it while it was downloading the 4Gb of maps (God bless 100Mb/s internet...) but it seems to tick the boxes.
The only issue might be that most apps I have don't like to work without a signal as they cannot show the ads. Not sure if this one would suffer the same. i.e. if you somewhere without a signal you won't be able to use it. I am sure there is a paid version...

https://market.android.com/details?id=m ... rch_result

Gav - there are "tablets" (like the ipad) which run android. There is a new 10.1 inch one coming out soon which, if it does mapping the same way, then there is little need for a "real" pc and a somewhat cumbersome screen.
Oh, and it's just cooler :ugeek:

Back