Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Another 80 Radiator question

Bat21

Supporter
Country Flag
morocco
If I order a new rad from Toyota, will it be a 3 core rad?... the local dealer doesn't seem to know and I don't fancy paying a monkey to find out they are only 1 or 2 core :doh:

I just found out that my local Toyota dealer does returns on parts over £50 so you could always order it and find out, obviously confirm if they do returns first. Thinking about it logically I would expect it to be up to the job even in the Sahara as its an original part. How much does it cost?

Rob said:
I just found out that my local Toyota dealer does returns on parts over £50 so you could always order it and find out, obviously confirm if they do returns first. Thinking about it logically I would expect it to be up to the job even in the Sahara as its an original part.
Last time I ordered anything from my local dealer it was cash up front, and once ordered there was no return policy.

I think original fitment was 3 core... but I'm not sure if newly supplied ones are still the same spec.

Rob said:
How much does it cost?
Bat21 said:
.... I don't fancy paying a monkey to find out....
AKA £500 ;)

Ouch thats a fair bit. It seems that my dealer that I complain about is quite good, as they will order anything and you pay on collection at trade prices. Maybe try a different one to see if they have a returns policy?

Sounds like you have a good one there Rob.

All the ones near to me are owned by the same franchise..... I might give them another bell tomorrow and see if they can be a little more flexible.

Rob said:
Ouch thats a fair bit. It seems that my dealer that I complain about is quite good, as they will order anything and you pay on collection at trade prices. Maybe try a different one to see if they have a returns policy?

mine too. this is toyota preston, and also HW moon in wigan operate the same way. I'd never pay for parts upfront. no chance, not from a main dealer.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Rob said:
Is that Toyota World, 186 Gloucester Road, Bristol? if it is they might not be as accommodating for me, it was their wall I knocked down :lol:

mike54 said:
mine too. this is toyota preston, and also HW moon in wigan operate the same way. I'd never pay for parts upfront. no chance, not from a main dealer.
As soon as I mention the HDJ81 part of the chassis number they say "oh that's an import and we will have to order them in, so payment up front"

They can't seem to grasp the fact that 99% of the parts are the same as the UK spec HDJ80 :doh:

Would anyone like to PM me a chassis number for a 1992 80 auto :thumbup:

According to the EPC the part number didn't change so the VIN from my old 80 should be good enough for this :) pm sent.

I got a new one for my import a while back ( £348 ) from yota's in Amersham, payment on collection, next day.

Can't fault Westlands , Stourbridge. They ordered rad over phone and gave discount. Only needed chassis number. I often order very obscure trim parts etc and they have never got a part wrong. I remember BMC days when you had to join the queue of angry parts customers to order parts. Then wait 3weeks and join an angry queue to pick them up. Then join another even angrier queue of people taking the wrong parts back only to be told after 30 mins that the correct part was unavailable.[Their way of finally getting rid of you].

Frank

frank rabbets said:
I remember BMC days when you had to join the queue of angry parts customers to order parts. Then wait 3weeks and join an angry queue to pick them up. Then join another even angrier queue of people taking the wrong parts back only to be told after 30 mins that the correct part was unavailable.[Their way of finally getting rid of you].
Frank

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh Yes, I remember those days (Jeeeeze, I had a Morris Marina Estate - TSB 777 L, where are you now (probably been hit by a piano)) :?:

It wasn't just BMC, either. I had a Sunbeam Rapier, followed by a Humber Sceptre Estate (same running gear). I've been in a lunch-time queue with one bored, disinterested guy serving when someone peers around the corner, looks at the queue and then scuttles back amongst the parts racks :doh:

No wonder I took to fixing things myself :thumbup:

Bob.

Cossack said:
Rob said:
Is that Toyota World, 186 Gloucester Road, Bristol? if it is they might not be as accommodating for me, it was their wall I knocked down :lol:
Thats the one :lol:

Just been into the Shrewsbury Toyota dealer to pick up an oil filter ready for an oil change, there's a new guy on parts now.

Got chatting to him ref my dilemma regarding the rad, he agreed to get one in on sale or return. So I can make sure it is a 3 core before I hand over the dosh.... it's going to be around £450 though :doh:

Hi Bob

Did you know there was an MG Metro owners club. Seriously. It was formed in Kidderminster by my friend. They used to meet up outside the parts department on a Saturday morning and exchange stories about their latest failures. It was a regular weekly meeting with 10 members.

I had a Montego;

125,000 miles:-
5 alternators
3 water pumps
3 exhausts
4 sets front wheel bearings
2 clutches
stuck sunroof

The radio packed up! Just stopped. I gave it such a back handed punch that the engine stopped in the middle of Birmingham. After some investigation I found a Red button sticking out by the drivers footwell. This was the severe impact fuel cut-off!! Pushed it back in and off I went.

Frank

Bat21 said:
If I order a new rad from Toyota, will it be a 3 core rad?... the local dealer doesn't seem to know and I don't fancy paying a monkey to find out they are only 1 or 2 core :doh:

I put a new one in about six months ago, definitely 3 core. :thumbup:

frank rabbets said:
Did you know there was an MG Metro owners club. Seriously. Frank

That sounds right for the time.

My Marina Estate had the 1.8l motor and had been fitted with twin carbs and 'pancake' air filters . . .

Going down the M6 to Somerset to spend Christmas with my folks I was overtaking a lorry in some snow/slush when the throttles froze wide open :o

I had to pull off the motorway at about 85mph & turn off the ignition to stop. As soon as the engine bay warmed up it all clicked back into position. It happened frequently in cold weather, but I was ready for it.

The torsion bar suspension used to shake and the brakes were rubbish. I had to free off the rear brakes every couple of months (sliding slave cylinder) and had to have the front disks skimmed to prevent the steering wheel trying to tear itself out of my hands.

I was approaching a right-hand corner one day when another Marina appeared. The driver was fighting the wheel and the front wheels were in a real "Tank-Slapper". He came right across the road onto my side and managed to get it all straightened out. I moved out of his way, stopped and just gave him an understanding salute as he passed :lol: .

I used to pull up at traffic lights and listen to the wheel trims slowing down :lol:

It was rubbish - but not as bad as the 'top-of-the-range' Humber Sceptre Estate I replaced it with.

But that's another long list of anecdotes :whistle: .

The good old days :doh: .

Bob.

Brakes? You were lucky. In my 1954 Morris Minor the master cylinder used to seize, it was like having a brick under the brake pedal.

Frank

frank rabbets said:
Brakes? You were lucky. In my 1954 Morris Minor the master cylinder used to seize, it was like having a brick under the brake pedal.

Frank

My Brother-in-Law had a Morris 1000, it had vacuum-powered windscreen washers which used to let water into the inlet tract :o

If he washed the screen while giving it the berries - it went faster :lol:

Do you remember the vacuum-powered wipers found on Fords ??

My Dad had a Mk1 consul and then a MkII (1703cc, 3-speed column change, bench seats, in light blue).

When trying to overtake something in the wet the wipers would shudder to a stop and then thrash furiously when you backed-off. It wasn't unknown for wiper blades to be lost when this happened :lol:

I don't know why I'm laughing, it was scary :o .

I inherited the Consul when Dad bought a 1964 1500 Ford Corsair (also in light blue), but sold it to a mate before I fixed the clutch and put it back on the road.

He pranged it when the bonnet flew up and wrapped itself around the windscreen and roof :doh: .

Ho Hum.

Bob.

Back