Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Another starting problem...

Mouse

Hi,

Anyone got any tips for me on this problem. The car (1996 24valve) started fine only 2 hours earlier, but then next time I tried to start it it just clicked, all the dashboard lights dimed and the voltage gauge went to 0v. I then look to see if I had left something on.... no. I checked the headlights and these were fine so the drivers side battery must have been fine. So I suspected the starter motor. I changed the starter motor for a new one from Milner and still had the same problem. Both batteries are reading 12v at rest. This car still has it's original Toyota alarm, was there a immobilizer with this system? Wondering if it has been immobilizied some how.

I have tried jumping the car and it would not jump, same problem. May try replacing the passenger side battery tomorrow and see if that has any effect. The 1 thing I don't understand is that it started perfectly only 2 hours previously. Now just clicks and voltage drops to 0v!

Bloomin 'eck - where've you been?? I have a package for you somewhere...

If you rule out a duff battery then I'd suspect the 12v/24v change over solenoid and that's worth checking anyway.

I had this with mine. Started fine a top of drive. Got out to lock gates and it would not restart. I got a friend to hold a voltmeter in turn on each battery WHILE I CRANKED and the offside battery went to 2 volts. It read 13 at rest.That battery must have failed instantly inside. Both batteries need checking as they are in series on starting.

Frank

I had a similar thing happen on my hilux. It started first time as usual, I drove up the road and then remembered I had left my phone at home. I went back to the house (1/4 mile) and turned the engine off. When I went back out to start it the lights flashed and there was a clicking sound but the engine wouldn't turn over. I checked the batteries and both were reading 12.9 volts.

After some investigation it turned out to be an oval worn battery terminal that only contacted the clamp at either end of the oval. Corrosion had built up in the spaces and as the clamp was now loose when it rotated with vibration and movement with general driving it would intermittently loose contact and not allow enough current to pass to turn the starter.

I replaced the batteries and cleaned up the clamps and job done :thumbup:

(I still use the batteries I took off around the workshop)

Thanks everybody. Well it's fixed now.

The exact cause I'm not sure about, but when I replaced the drivers side battery the car sprung into life. So not sure if it was a dodgy connection or bad battery on the drivers side, but now luckily if's fixed!

Cheers

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Mouse said:
Thanks everybody. Well it's fixed now.

The exact cause I'm not sure about, but when I replaced the drivers side battery the car sprung into life. So not sure if it was a dodgy connection or bad battery on the drivers side, but now luckily if's fixed!

Cheers

You should replace BOTH batteries at the same time to ensure longevity,

regards

Dave

Back