Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Another what tyres.

Well it's the start of the month and I have ordered the BFG's in the original size (275/70x16) from an online supplier "Oponeo" at £130 each this seemed to be the cheapest deal around, I will fit them myself when they arrive.

I will report on the results once the tyres are fitted.

T1pper - sorry for late reply but i tend to ignore the tyre threads as they're often subjective......but for future reference (for others given your purchase) my 100 is running 285/75 R16s BFG ATs (which I too rate) and they don't rub. The extra circumference means the speedo runs spot on accurate with my GPS. Plenty of pictures on my hedgehog build thread and some dimensional data on lift etc. My BFG spare just purchased was £130 (for a single) fitted all inclusive.

One of the repeated strengths are the sidewalls of the BFG and are able to handle low PSIs well....if you need to get that serious

Hi,
New BFg's arrived and fitted, decided to fit with the white letters inside for now, easy to go on and inflate.

I did not get them balanced and they are running very smoothly with only a very slight increase in road noise over the old road biased Avons fitted previously, additionally the BFG' do feel alot heavier than the old tyres even taking into account the loss of rubber, sidewalls and beads are defo much more robust.

I will get the tracking checked just to be sure I do not supect it is out but it will give me peace of mind.

The road handling is much sharper than the outgoing Avons too, I am currently running at just over 30PSI and it seems good on the road but the tyres do look a little flat any one have any expirnece with tyre pressures?

Overall very happy thus far.

Anyone have any experience with tyre pressures?

I have BFG T/As on my '100' (275/70 16), I run them at 34psi front, 36psi rear.

The truck is mostly used for towing.

Bob.

Don't have a 100 but most people running "proper" AT tyres, such as BFGs, GG AT2s etc. in similar sizes increase the pressures to around 36-40psi with good results. It's a bit "suck it and see" - you'll find out what you prefer.

Will make the ride a little bit harsher but will give better handling and fuel consumption.

I don't have a 100 and neither do I have BFG ATs, but running GG ATs on my 80 I found 38-40 psi better on asphalt. The truck is much more responsive in every way compared with 30-36 psi. I think I'll be having the new BFG ATs if I can get them, when these wear a bit thinner.

Hi,
Thanks for the replies re tyre pressure, I will increase them and see what works best, I do a fair amount of towing so will report when I have lived with them for a while.
But the low 30's PSI they just look a bit soggy.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You'll wear them fast running at 30psi on tarmac, I tend to run mine at 36-38psi on road

I run mine at 40psi as this feels right if i lower to say 35psi i get the shakes on KM2's

I have ran around today at 35 psi all round and it feels improved I will try 38 front, 40 rear and see how it goes, I have some towing to do over the weekend so the extra pressure should be benificail.

Still impressed with the handling and how little noise dispite the agressive tread pattern, had to do an emergency stop today and it was very possitive indeed.

Only slight negative to report, I was suprised how many stones get stuck in the tread I used a few unsurfaced roads on farms today plus a bit of very light of road, once I hit the tarmac again the stones were stuck firm untill 40-50 mph at this point they were flying out and really beating the wheel arches.

I haven't tried this process to set tyre pressures but it appears to come with some credibility. The 4psi rule.....you could try that to see if those results are the same as by 'feel' of the truck. It seems a bit of faffing but it allows for all conditions. Explained in the link below

http://www.aawen4x4.com.au/

hi guys any one know where there's a cheap set of 16 or17" wheels for sale. thinking of having a set for off road / winter, my 18" are limited for tyre choice.

hi guys any one know where there's a cheap set of 16 or17" wheels for sale. thinking of having a set for off road / winter, my 18" are limited for tyre choice.
I'll have a set soon, I have some new rims I will be getting some Cooper STT Pro's for and my existing wheels and BFG tyres will be available, I think the tyres are 265/85/16. I haven't thought of a price yet but PM me with an offer if you're interested.

These are the wheels and tyres.

14.jpg

Hi Ian I have a spare set of 100 wheels (4) 16" not in use PM me for details thanks.

Andy

I'll have a set soon, I have some new rims I will be getting some Cooper STT Pro's for and my existing wheels and BFG tyres will be available, I think the tyres are 265/85/16. I haven't thought of a price yet but PM me with an offer if you're interested.

These are the wheels and tyres.

View attachment 20169
hi chas is the offset on your 80 the same as my 100?

Hi andy what are you looking at for the wheels? Are they in good condition or just winter shoes?

I have ran around today at 35 psi all round and it feels improved I will try 38 front, 40 rear and see how it goes, I have some towing to do over the weekend so the extra pressure should be benificail.

Still impressed with the handling and how little noise dispite the agressive tread pattern, had to do an emergency stop today and it was very possitive indeed.

Only slight negative to report, I was suprised how many stones get stuck in the tread I used a few unsurfaced roads on farms today plus a bit of very light of road, once I hit the tarmac again the stones were stuck firm untill 40-50 mph at this point they were flying out and really beating the wheel arches.

T1pper - I came across the data in the chart below - I can't find the original source so you take it at your own risk - but I think it was a professional table. As you can see for higher pressure ranges it has a linear range of kg vs BAR. Note that other tyre sizes/manufacturers will have different data. For my expedition loaded truck this chart suggests 2.4 BAR on the rear and about 1.8 or 1.9 BAR on the front. I have been running my fronts at 2.4 BAR and they feel a bit over pressured and seem to spin a bit so I'm going to put these back close to the OEM pressures + a bit - 2.0 BAR. I can't see that the linear relationship extends down in any case on the graph as the line has to get to zero somehow. At the rear of the truck with 2.5 BAR the tyre looks properly inflated. Of course for low-drag extensive motorway driving it is normal practice to put a bit more air in any way....although not actually recommended by Toyota.....and neither does it recognise that heavier rear loads warrant a bit more air.

Running around with 2.8 BAR in the fronts does look like it would be overkill - even with a bull bar and winch the net impact over the front axle is less

The weights are per tyre - half of the axle weight

Attachments

• BFG tyre pressure plot 285 75.jpg
    BFG tyre pressure plot 285 75.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 174
I found that Cooper Tyres are very good. I can get 120 K out of them

Back