Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Another what tyres.

I am having a set of Cooper AT3s fitted tomorrow. Went with 275/70/17, which is slightly bigger than my current Dunlop AT22s (275/65/17). The Dunlops have lasted about 70,000km (mainly on the road) and still have a few mm in them, but the LC is a big truck and they feel a little skittish in the wet. I tow a horse float quite often these days, so the Coopers shouldn't have any problem pulling out of wet paddocks.

The forum has been quite useful in helping me decide. Certainly read lots of opinions and advice. The main decision now is whether to put the white lettering on the outside or not.......

I'm having a set of Cooper Discoverers fitted on Friday, I will be putting the white lettering inside only because I thought the white would clash with the trucks natural grunge look.

2.JPG

Mine looks like the proverbial Chelsea Tractor compared to that Chas :)

Mine looks like the proverbial Chelsea Tractor compared to that Chas :)

It might look a bit er, tatty but like the Scotsman replied to the lady who asked "Is anything worn under the kilt" "Och No, it's all in fine working order"

Had my new Cooper AT3s fitted. First impressions are that they produce a lower frequency rumble (possibly a touch quieter) than the Dunlops and feel very assured. Having gone up in size (275/70/17 over the old 275/65/17), the truck sits a little under 2" higher. I have always put snow chains on the rear wheels as per the Owners Manual, but definitely wouldn't risk putting them on the front now as the clearance looks pretty slim.

I checked the speedo against my GPS - 50kmh came in at 49.1kmh, 60kmh at 59.0, 70kmh at 68.8, 80 at 78.6kmh, 90kmh at 88.7 and 100kmh at 97.9. The speedo has always read about 4kmh under at 100kmh so I'm happy with that. Will see what happens to the fuel consumption. The boys did the alignment too and she's running straight and true, no pulling to the side like she was :)

IMG_2840.JPG

Managed to shoot a short video out of the passenger window while my 13 year old was driving round the paddock so i could enjoy the white writing :)

View attachment IMG_2844.MOV

Last edited:
UPDATE

I have now covered 10K miles on the BFGs my driving involves quite a bit of towing plus some lighter off road work and so far very pleased indeed, no punctures infact no problems what so ever.

They are wearing very evenly but I still gave them the first rotation swapping the fronts for the rears last Sunday.

I have now settled at 41 psi all round this pressure keeps the handling sharp, rolls well on tarmac and is about right for towing.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The tyre fitter set my Coopers at 32psi which has given a very smooth ride so far. I'll try a higher pressure to see how they roll. I usually push them up to 36 for towing, but the kids complain that the ride makes them feel sick if I don't let the air out when I've dropped the trailer :)

VX100

Back