Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Anti squeal shims (for brakes) are they really necessary?

Brett

Country Flag
uk
As the title says, I've just bought a set of remanufactured calipers & I'm going to fit new rotors & pads at the same time.

What's the general opinion on the anti squeal shims? should I buy a set? I've got a feeling I binned them last time I changed the pads :roll:

Looking on ToyoDiy, you can buy the shims individually for £36.72 or as a axle set for £77.55 :shock: either way it's a lot of money for 8 bits of tin.

Re: Anti squeal shims (for brakes) are they really necessary

Brett said:
As the title says, I've just bought a set of remanufactured calipers & I'm going to fit new rotors & pads at the same time.

What's the general opinion on the anti squeal shims? should I buy a set? I've got a feeling I binned them last time I changed the pads :roll:

Looking on ToyoDiy, you can buy the shims individually for £36.72 or as a axle set for £77.55 :shock: either way it's a lot of money for 8 bits of tin.

Hi Brett

Axle set at https://safe.brakeparts.co.uk/loadnew.html are £7.33

So I think Toyota have got there decimal point in the wrong place !

Hi Steve,

That's where I get my brake parts anyway, Brake International. That's the fitting kit you've linked to, not the anti squeal shims.

The fitting kit they do is for the early trucks only I need the longer (115mm) pins.

They also don't stock the anti squeal shims, looks like it's dealer only for the fitting kits & anti squeal shims.

Thanks anyway.

Have you tried Ian Rubie for the shims?

No i haven't, I was hoping to get an answer on whether they are necessary before ordering any.

i dont have them on mine all i got is the pins and springs

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

I have been told that copperslip between piston and pad will stop squeeling.

Frank

Brett said:
Hi Steve,

That's where I get my brake parts anyway, Brake International. That's the fitting kit you've linked to, not the anti squeal shims.

The fitting kit they do is for the early trucks only I need the longer (115mm) pins.

They also don't stock the anti squeal shims, looks like it's dealer only for the fitting kits & anti squeal shims.

Thanks anyway.

Hi again

I have not used Brake international, but I believe a lot do, but do the pads not have a coating on the back of the
metal backing.

But what are those kits I linked to then ? I thought that what the were !

The other point you say the pins are not long enough, get the kit and just use your own pins !

Dont use shimms on mine and I dont have squeaky brakes, cant say the same thing about the volvo though...

My shims fell to bits 7 years ago. Never had any since and had no squeals either.

Thanks for all the replies, I did the job today & I had chucked the shims previously.

All back together & it's not squealing :thumbup:

Back