Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Anyone like tractors....

Really handy to have these two around

Walking through Chichester today, I heard a low puttering sound coming along the road and just managed to get a photo. 'Twas a diesel Farmall in excellent order, probably one that carts visitors round the Goodwood Revival. Has another on the trailer, looked like possibly a Fergie.
IMG_2647.JPG

The odd thing was, a few seconds after I took this, around the bend in the opposite direction came a 1960s Rolls Royce, then from a side turning a car towing a trailer with an unpainted aluminium vintage sports car on it. All going in different directions within a few seconds of each other!

Ooooof tractors. This is my daily drive. Very nice to drive but I must say vintage stuff is more interesting. Dads old ford 7810 is a lovely thing. Big 6.6ltr straight six, non turbo, pulls from about 550rpm, much easier to drive than these modern things, which have to be on the turbo all the time to get anywhere.

Rob

image.jpeg

If it goes Pop-Bang-chug I'm interested :thumbup:.

Many years ago I bought a 1976 Zetor 6718 tractor for use in the field we rented for our horses (4 cylinder, a little under 4 litres, five-speed gearbox, 2-speed PTO, diff lock, Portal axles, power steering, a built-in air compressor, the "Dance Hall" two-seater cab and a Grays Front loader :cool:).

I found it had serious faults, stripped it down and never got to finish the restoration (the women-folk moved the horses to a Livery Yard and we stopped renting the field) .

But I WILL, I WILL, I WILL - most of the work is done, I just need to sort the engine and put it all together, all 3.5 tons of it.

At present, the four British 'Classic' motorcycles and my 95 'Colorado' have priority :oops:.

I LOVE tractors . . . . . Motorcycles, cars, lorries, heavy plant, ships, sailing boats, aircraft, steam locomotives . . . .

Bob.
Bob,those Zetors were vey popular NZ.surpised you had problem with yours.

image.jpeg
We are on our third David Brown 990.Nothing wrong with any but just updated all the time,all 2 wheel drive and would take the loader off and hoe our glasshouses up.We only had 1/2 acre in glass and it was no longer an economic
business.To me the DB's are the best of British. image.png

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Holy thread resurrection Batman!

For the agri minded... I took on a project for a neighbour. His diesel 20 was not running and had been lying up.

IMAG2192.jpg

I stripped the top end first and had the pump, injectors and head reconditioned in my local machine shop.. still no real joy. It ran but compression was terrible.
So this week I split the beast and carried out open heart surgery...

IMG_20190325_182258.jpg

I think I may have found the culprit..

IMG_20190330_163002.jpg

No.2 was not much better. I'll put 2 new pistons in, new rings and polish the crankshaft. Stick it back together and it'll be good for 50 years.

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

For the agri minded... I took on a project for a neighbour. His diesel 20 was not running and had been lying up.

View attachment 155150

I stripped the top end first and had the pump, injectors and head reconditioned in my local machine shop.. still no real joy. It ran but compression was terrible.
So this week I split the beast and carried out open heart surgery...

View attachment 155151

I think I may have found the culprit..

View attachment 155152

No.2 was not much better. I'll put 2 new pistons in, new rings and polish the crankshaft. Stick it back together and it'll be good for 50 years.
I wonder if Ether was responsible for that?

I wonder if Ether was responsible for that?

I'd say not a bad call that... The old can of easy start may have been fired at it more than twice or thrice.... I'm not a trained mechanic, but I would have associated that type of damage with possible fuel in the bore, but ether is just as likely if not more so. Farmers and easy start... I wish the stuff was banned

I'd say not a bad call that... The old can of easy start may have been fired at it more than twice or thrice.... I'm not a trained mechanic, but I would have associated that type of damage with possible fuel in the bore, but ether is just as likely if not more so. Farmers and easy start... I wish the stuff was banned
Bob.I keep a small bottle of petrol in my box on my IH B125 traxcavator and a couple of squirts of juice on a cloth under the pre-cleaner and she roars into life summer and winter.Ether is a no-no they knock that much it cant be doing them much good.

Our high tower David Brown 990 and we have plenty of other attachments ,very handy.
E305AF18-DB28-418E-A7B5-12BBD5C339C9.jpeg

Hi good looking tractors I had a wheel horses just like that one .:thumbup:

Back