Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Are my batteries charging properly?

JimmyLJ71

I seem to be having problems with my batteries charging :thumbdown:

I have a twin system in my LJ71, i believe it is 24v start.

When i first bought the truck i started having trouble starting, we found the battery nearest the cab was shot, changed it, all was well or so i thought.

I have since had a new engine fitted, the engine now requiring more power to turn it over, again was difficult to start, again i checked the batteries, the one nearest the cab (the new one) was shot, and the other (much larger) was on the way out :thumbdown:

So i did the right thing, got on the forum for advice, i was advised to have both batteries the same size and make, done that, bought two new spankers from Halfords. :thumbup:

The batteries stated on them they were fully charged, i checked the voltage and it was over 14v on both.

Right, i thought everything would be ok, still a little difficult to turn over, but i put this down to the new engine.

It has been on my drive for a week or so, was a little slow on turn over to start this morning, took it for a drive, not far, prob 20-30 miles, went to start tonight, flat as a pancake, checked the votage on the batteries, one was 12.75v, and the one nearest the cab was 11.something volts, one charged up within an hour the other is still charging

I do have all my Aux electrics wired to the battery nearest the cab, and the tow hitch man has wired into my Aux fuse box, but all is switched off and nothing connected to tow plug.

H E L P
:thumbdown:

12.75 is good, 11.something not so good. I presume they're not wired in parallel or did you disconnect one of them to measure the voltages? Use a multimeter to check the current draw when everything is switched off so you can see if something is drawing more than it should, it only takes a faulty door switch keeping a boot light on or something like that. Could also be bad connections at the battery or to earth from the battery or even just a duff battery.

What's the voltage when the engine is running? Is your alternator charging them?

If you're not, and you're still running your toys it won't take long to kill a perfectly good battery.

Thanks for the advice, i have done a bit of testing and posted the results on the 70 series section, i would appreciate some help :thumbup:

Back