Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Auto to Manual conversion

great stuff. Doesn't the transfer take EP90? You want a GL 4 gearbox oil in the main box (2.7 litres iirc), diff oil will eat the synchros after a while.

I will take some snaps tonight while it is still on the ramp. I used Milers TRX 75/90 Fully synthetic for main box + transfer. The box took 4 litres and still didn't spill out the fill bung yet?? I thought it took 3.8 litres but it was well drained

pretty sure the main gearbox capacity is 2.7 litres ...

Yes guys just checked there now 2.7ltr I was using what I found to be a fill hole on drivers side of box located approx 3/4 way up the box with a 24mm bolt. It had a sealing washer and all on it. Hummmm apparently it was the wrong one where is the correct one located?

passenger side, quite low down maybe about half way along the main casing, I have to park on a slope to get the 2.7l in without any running back out so the hole is only just high enough. The hole you are using is fine for filling, just no good for level checking.

Thanks Jon got the oil sorted okay apparently I was using the filling hole as level (I did think it was a tad high) LOL Got trucking driving last night which was handy due to over a foot of snow falling and my Audi getting snowed in outside the workshop.

What a difference in the truck! It is night and day gearing change has really helped and it now feels like a 4.2td and now a diesel whale! Really thing all the effort was worth it. Took it for a good run tonight and seems to be using half the fuel! Update to follow

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The only issue I have left is Rev counter, which I assume used to take its reading from the old flywheel but will have to research that one. I think the reverse light sensor come up the same loom from the quadrant that Jon + Chris mentioned and if that is the case I intend to use the old plug from Auto loom which will be the 2nd round plug that sits near the starter and mate the manual revere switch to it? In theory should work. I will sit down and do a how 2 guide that can be added to the 80 series section.

My truck is Jap spec so speedo reads MPH but trip is still KPH I used to get about 430k to tank which was very bad but I do run 35's and a which bumper and usually alot of weight. I am away with the Missus tonight and filled tank before leaving and have done 235k and have used 1/4 of a tank! BIg Big difference with no torque slip and have proper control of your gears.

Big thanks to Stef cause the box is 100% no whines, crunches and take every gear warm+ cold very pleased with it!

is your truck 12 or 24 valve? There is a pickup on the injection pump for the rev counter. On a 24 valve manual the engine ECU sorts that out and sends a signal to the dash. Not 100% sure what the setup is on a 12 valve auto but I think it is a direct feed, from the pickup on the pump to the dash rev counter. Check the EWD, might be a clue in there.

The only ECU I removed was the ECT one due to it being bolted to where my clutch pedal now sits and due to the auto box no longer living in the car I didn't think it was necessary. I might try plugging that back in first in case the feed piggy backs from ECT ECU so the old gearbox knew what it needed to due. Only a thought but I will get My mate to have a look at the wiring diagram because that sounds more than a 2 spanner job skill level! LOL

I know this is an old thread but does your 80 have cruise control? i have an import 93 was an auto now its a manual but cruise control will not work since the conversion, a friend did the conversion so i am not aware of what wiring was removed. does the cruise control have a separate ecu?

I know this is an old thread but does your 80 have cruise control? i have an import 93 was an auto now its a manual but cruise control will not work since the conversion, a friend did the conversion so i am not aware of what wiring was removed. does the cruise control have a separate ecu?
Yes it has a ecu labeled "speed control". There is also the servo under the bonnet that the first section of the throttle cable attaches to.
funnily enough i have a 80 thats had a (rather poor) manual conversion, where no attempt has been made to keep the cruise control functional.

Yes it has a ecu labeled "speed control". There is also the servo under the bonnet that the first section of the throttle cable attaches to.
funnily enough i have a 80 thats had a (rather poor) manual conversion, where no attempt has been made to keep the cruise control functional.

Have you managed to get it working again? i wouldn't say my conversion was poorly done. All i know is that when they pulled the ecu's from the original box and it all in ready to go the rev counter wouldn't work so they put the auto ecu back in and everything works as it should accept the cruise control.

Last edited:
not had a chance to look at it properly tbh will. in my case, my first point of call would be the fact that the actuator isn't hooked up.

Last edited:
Back