Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Awnings

AndyCook

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
Not going down the Roof-tent route - just yet!
But fancy some form of sun shade - awning for my summer travels in the landcruiser.

I am after an awning that rolls out, either over boot area, or side of the vehicle.
with poles and guy ropes

any recommendations - things like Foxwing way over budget and too big.

SilverLady said:
Hi

I am looking at the Fiamma F35 Pro.

http://www.fiammastore.com/Motorhome-Aw ... x4--Awning

They do the side walls as well and can be used either end. Lots of accessories to go with it.

Be interested if anyone has any experience of one ????

Price about £275 but all roll away neat and tidy

Mal

not used the F35, but have used a F45 on the side of the roofrack for years- work really really really well.

Very sturdy whilst being quick to extend and stow- having the font and sides (particularly the sides) is brilliant in keeping out sun and sand- couple of times we've pitched side on to the wind, and then fitted the sides- in the sahara it means you don't have to move the vehicle when the winds change.

Also makes outings in the UK much more fun- you can cook standing up under the heaviest storms and still feel like you are "outside".

Mine is now sold and after about 5 years of much use it fetched about 80% of purchase price on the bay of e- so all in all it proved a veriable bargain.

Hi

Well looks like a F35 pro for me then.

I wonder if we would get a discount for bulk ??

Anyone interested ??

Mal

I had a canvas awning made to spec by a tent maker in Cape Town (yes I know, but the principle holds...). Down one side of the canvas is sewn a rope guide. On the roof rack I fitted some caravan rally-tent aluminium slide - not sure of the technical term - with pop-rivets. The awning has grommets sewn in for a number of poles, which I bought at the same time. Totally variable configuration, as you can drop sides from the ends and peg them down to make a roof and two side walls.

Total size was 6 x 3 metres so pretty damn big.

Only disadvantage is you have to carry the awning in a bag in the vehicle.

No pics sorry :)

Total cost was about £60 or so. Worth thinking about - only took 5 minutes to put up.

When I'm big I'm going to get a FoxWing :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
a small tarp and a couple of poles is the simplest then you can use it at the side or the back just need something to tie it to on the truck.

Yep, can't fault the Terrain one. Cost me £100. Keeps the rain off alright. But what is this sun that you speak of?

I have used my Terrain RTT quite a lot and every single time except Lincomb it has lagged it down. It keeps the water out, but it does need drying at some point. The awning is the same. But it does dry very quickly. Awning is up in probably less than one minute.

Chris

I am hoping for sun in the Pyrenees!
and it will do nicely for rain in scotland..... :roll:

Re: Awning fo sale

Hi

I have a Maggiolina awning fo sale as new.

Just like this same colour as first picture with changing room.

200_spogliatoioMagg.jpg

1271904465_p4170012.jpg

Open to offers.

Mal

have a look at Outback products Ostrich wing awning - in principle similar to Foxwing from Oztents - -270 degrees of shade, no support poles, 30 second deployment, 30 sec fold up et al. just the bees knees and if i could attach a photo i would!

Thats great!!! I saw Ian's Foxwing at Lincomb last year & that is also an excellent peice of kit :drool:

Here's the Ostrich pics off the website:

OutbackOstrich01.jpg

OutbackOstrich02.jpg

OutbackOstrich03.jpg

OutbackOstrich04.jpg

I wonder how many of these Warren can bring back from SA when he's over there :whistle:

That volstruis vlerk looks good, but I wouldn't want that deployed when the wind picked up - bye-bye Cruiser!!

Spoilt myself - my FoxWing arrived yesterday!

Now to fit it carefully :)

I considered an Ostritch but also wondered about its strength in high winds. Also wondered how bulky it is closed and how heavy compared to a fox wing which is about as bulky and heavy as I would want to go for an awning.

Did you get the one with legs Gary? I beleive they offer the Foxwing without as well now...

EDIT: I have my blue tarp for the time being :lol:

Yep got the one with legs. I'd previously considered the Hannibal cantilever legless - has had good reports on reliability and strength in winds in the Cape (not called the Cape of Storms for nothing!!)

I like the idea of being able to re-position the truck if necessary without packing everything up first :thumbup:

Jon Wildsmith said:
[quote="Gav Peter":3qtwebyv] I beleive they offer the Foxwing without as well now...
Pics? Url? :mrgreen:[/quote:3qtwebyv]It was you who bloomin told me wasn't it??? :lol:

Not me, unless you've missunderstood something I've said :)

Back