Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Awnings

I would like a Foxwing that opens passenger side for my Colorado. I wasn't planning on spending any money again soon, but a group buy would be very hard to resist...

I'll post a (poor) picture this evening - the wing goes around the back and joins up with the RTT base now to provide a lot of cover!

For the more permanent camp site all you nee is a 3meter square Gazebo :thumbup:

!00% waterproof, standing room, goes up easily in under 10min & you can back the truck under it :thumbup:

Oh & only £15 from B&Q :mrgreen:

P4080611.jpg

P4080622.jpg

P4080613.jpg

And then for a less permanent arrangement, brewing up @ lunch time, I've knocked this together :)

It's made from a 2400mm x 1800mm HD RED tarp from off of the Bay for a fiver, two adjustable tent poles (1600mm to 2400mm) £16 each also from off the Bay & a pack of spare guy ropes from Halfords £3.99 :thumbup:

Also features standing room, 100% waterproof & can be left up with the rear door open or closed :D

P5120058.jpg

P5120051.jpg

P5120059.jpg

P5130069.jpg

The Terrain one has been a real hit. I like it. I wish I had the sides for it instead of the shower curtain for the main tent actually.

P1013582.jpg

Chris

Really awful photo - sorry. Only shows the front too !

f42e5cfb.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
good to see some awning action shots!

you have a couple of the side-skirts too Jon - it looks like the foxwing has two layers on your pic though Jon, is that an extra small strengthening feature for the edge?

Nope - zip the side extensions into the vertical bit then the roof line forms a water run-off overhang ...

are many of these compatible with gutter rails?
im hoping to get a maggiolina, running off roof bars. dont really want to have the extra weight of a roof rack...

i havent seen a fitting kit for gutters on my research - they have fitting kits for thule bars etc

where did you get your awnings Jon/Gary? - seems TBR are main dealers now

I think they need to be fitted to roof rack or roof bars Andy - I don't think a gutter would be strong enough to support it on its own...

did you get our 10% club discount from them?

You can mount them to bars no problem, I just have 3 bars :) There are two channels running the length of the back of the main structure which you slide bolts into which you fix into your brackets so the positioning of the brackets is pretty flexible.

I have the main fox wing, 3 extension panels, an Oz Tent RV? caravan awning connector and some awning track fixed along my rear roof bar, all from BOAB. The Oz Tent awning connector converts one of the extension panels into a small tarp that feeds into the awning channel and then with a couple of fox wing poles makes a small awning over the tailgate for quick brew ups :) The extension panels are expensive for what they are but are very useful.

"3 extension panels" - thats just greedy!

I might be able to use my existing £25 awning sheet as a extension panel - by tying it to poles rather than zip

:mrgreen: I didn't buy them all at once, but I'd used a single panel plenty of times when more would have been useful. They are expensive for what they are but then again so is the fox wing in the first place when you could just get a £5 tarp from B&Q and some poles instead :) Same convenience vs price deal with the panels really, just zip them on, stick the supplied poles under if using as an extension, no flapping about or water running down the inside where the two don't meet ;)

Gary Stockton said:
I had a canvas awning made to spec by a tent maker in Cape Town (yes I know, but the principle holds...). Down one side of the canvas is sewn a rope guide. On the roof rack I fitted some caravan rally-tent aluminium slide - not sure of the technical term - with pop-rivets. The awning has grommets sewn in for a number of poles, which I bought at the same time

I have the same, 1 x almost wedge shape off the back which is the width of the rack and then widens right out as it goes out. Its custom made out of canvas and also have a vinyl one off the side which was a caravan awening. Both run off annexe track mounted to the roofrack.

Back