Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Baby steps.. Overland camping on a budget

Bob

Supporter
Country Flag
ireland
My LC is my daily driver, and to be honest, as we are saving for a house build, I don't have the money to spend on some of the desirable gear thats available out there. So I decided to see what I could do, on a budget, that would suit our needs for camping trips in France/Spain/Italy that have quickly become annual holidays.

First job: Awning - somewhat inspired by one I saw online.

Materials: 2x2m Heavy Duty Tarp - Actually a tent floor from a broken tent
Length of 110mm black drain pipe & stop ends
2 tent poles
2 x 4m lengths of 20mm pvc overflow pipe & 4 x 90' elbows
Pop rivets & mudflap washers
M6x100 bolts, nuts & washers x2

Total Spend - €60

Started by making the awning itself - Riveted the 20mm pipe onto the ends of the material

IMAG0701_zpsohupipbt.jpg

IMAG0702_zpsteaqcuqf.jpg

The sides are made of the 20mm pipe with the 90' bends on them that get attached for putting it up. For now I'm holding it to the roof rails using strong bungees, as i want it to be quick to put up and take down. Velcro straps hold the sides of the awning to the pipe. Only thing i need to make for it is a pair of small weights for the guy ropes (substituted by oil cans in the pic!)

IMAG0724_zpsmtnqljxk.jpg

IMAG0725_zps3bcrhala.jpg

Rolls up nice and tight...

IMAG0727_zpsjlgsacji.jpg

Which leads to the cassette case for it...

IMAG0728_zpsibrozbqs.jpg

Cut to size and test fitted....

I had to flare one end of the pipe by heating it with a gas torch so I could push the end cap onto it, otherwise it would need a big ugly socket connector.

IMAG0729_zpsycqbyfua.jpg

Bolted through the existing roof bar clamp using the m6x100 bolts with mudflap washers shaped to fit the inside of the pipe. Lock nut on the end so it can't loosen. Added a couple of 7mm cable ties for support - probably unnecessary but want it to be able for motorway speeds

IMAG0741_zpsq6bwqxha.jpg

Screw on acces ends fitted

IMAG0732_zps8ob3gtnj.jpg

Slide in the awning...

IMAG0737_zpsrywjokhs.jpg

A €5 fleabay finishing touch...

IMAG0734_zpsbe6hfgv8.jpg

Finished...

IMAG0735_zps4oltodtk.jpg

Had thought about making a retractable version, but this set up allows me to put the awning on either side of the truck, or even at the back if i want. Happy with how it turned out. Now on to the rest of the list!!!

Last edited:
Excellent job, complete with correct sticker. :thumbup:

Cheers Chas... thought it made it look a bit less like i was just carrying a bit of pipe around!

Second & Third jobs..

This is one I've been threatening to do for a while, and finally got round to it today. I wanted the truck to look less like a van, so vinyl wrap was procured. I forgot to take during pics as time was a factor in getting the vinyl done right. Total spend €36 on 3M vinyl wrap.

IMAG0752_zpsrmrrxyxv.jpg

IMAG0748_zpssqxpke2j.jpg

And one to compare with the before above..

IMAG0756_zpseec8axur.jpg

It's a tricky little process. Silicone windscreen sealant around the panels had to be removed. The panels were cleaned and degreased with alcohol before cutting and applying the vinyl. Then masked up the panels and ran a bead of Tec 7 silicone adhesive around to seal it all up.
It's not perfect by any means, but better than €250 it would have cost to get someone to fit it.

Third job - simpler thankfully. Full engine service so it's ready for the 3500 or so miles around France & Spain in a couple of weeks. Genuine filters, and Valvoline oil, which I've been using for 5 years.

Total spend €95

IMAG0745_zpshbysd36z.jpg

The wrap has transformed your truck Bob, great work!

Looks good :thumbup: i wonder if mirror vinyl on my windows would make my black truck look less like a van :think:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Dont forget, and this goes for everyone, if your passing through the Dordogne, call in for BBQ! Open house here ;)

Cheers Steve, I think we'll be too far East and South, heading straight for Perpignan via Clermont, but the trip is open ended, so if plans change, I'll be knocking!

Fourth job...

Gearbox, transfer box and greased every part of the shafts

IMAG0757_zpsemoqfbzx.jpg

Some excess grease must have been hiding and got thrown into the exhaust or something, as it now stinks after a long drive today. Nice

Today's task is cosmetic, but puts my brain at rest. The towbar was starting to look shabby after 12 years.

IMAG0758_zpsnee5w7f2.jpg

Masked up and rubbed down. Then a can of hammerite satin aerosol to keep the rusty goblin at bay.

IMAG0763_zps0ijg9olb.jpg

And gave it a wash for good measure

IMAG0762_zpsyuflbacs.jpg

Now that it's mechanically and aesthetically good, the interior will get a bit of attention next.

I have reported on our recent trip over in trip reports, but I said I'd post here about the packing 'system' we use for trips. Like my other things, this has been done on a budget.

I built this storage unit a few years back for tools and recovery gear, but have since found it useful for trips

IMAG0780_zpsfkwign24.jpg

On the passenger side is my breakdown kit - which thankfully hasn't been used on a trip to date. If I cant fix a problem with whats in here, then its a fairly big problem! Theres also space o top of this for all our plates and cutlery etc that are packed in a small duffel.

IMAG0779_zps9dexdogf.jpg

On the driver's side, I divided the unit in two and one side holds the gas bottle and 2 x gallon drums that double up as weights for my awning as well as water carriers. On the other side a box of toiletries and other bits fitted just nicely, with room for small bits and bobs still left.

IMAG0781_zpszdxagrdh.jpg

The rear section of the truck is loaded with 4 of the blue crates, (freebies from a chap in Hewlett Packard). 2 for clothes, one for camping gear, and one with the airbeds, but gets used for transporting wine home. Theres also the ground tent, a 40L domestic fridge, a full (not disassembled) 2 burner barbecue, folding table, two folding chairs, a folding kitchen stand table, a bean bag, a yoga mat (Mrs Bob's), a clothes airer and the cooler box.

IMAG0787_zpsd1nk7ohr.jpg

Even with all that gear on board, I can still use the rear view mirror, a testament to the cavernous space in the back of a 95. The crates mean that the packing is very even and nothing moves about. there's not so much as a squeak on the road. It also makes for a fast load/unload. Its obviously not set up for wild camping, but for hauling gear and changing sites after a few days it works well. The key was getting the crates for free, but similar tubs could be bought/made for reasonable money

Holy thread ressurection Batman! But it's my thread so there!

We are off to France/Spain next weekend for the first time in 4 years, so a few updates to how I'm setting up. Still on a budget, still can't justify fancy gear to myself, I have other vices too (tractors!)

I had built the awning from an old tent floor, but was never really happy with it. Searching online for suitable awning material came up with max widths of 150cm, unless I wanted to dig deep into the pockets. So, one day I'm clearing out the back of an outbuilding on our site, low and behold, the remains of a house awning (that evidently was previously on the back of the house we bought) was lying in the back behind the timber. I managed to salvage enough good material to re cover my awning. Happy days.

IMG_20190630_175958.jpg

I asked Mrs Bob very nicely, and her sewing machine did the necessary manufacturing of pocket flaps.

IMG_20190630_164733.jpg

Refitted the PVC piping frame and guy wires and job done..

IMG_20190630_184345.jpg

IMG_20190630_185053.jpg

Zero cost.. except I'm cooking tonight!

There was a thread here a short while back about bringing spares. I don't bring many, but I do bring tools, in the likely understanding that I'll never need them. I don't go mad, but I do bring enough to get me off the roadside in all but the worst scenario. This little box (not genuine Toyota ;)) is a very useful resource in a small package

IMG_20190701_185237.jpg

IMG_20190701_190336.jpg

I also pack a fairly comprehensive socket set, lump hammer, a large and small ratchet strap, tow strap, jump leads and gloves.... And of course my ever present Leatherman Charge. I've gotten out of more than a few tight corners in various places with nothing but that Leatherman

Love the awning design. I too made my own but need to add a framework to it to keep it from too much sag.

Cheers. The newer material isn't riveted on, instead the pipe runs through the pockets, which is a stronger design overall. I had though of putting a support piece in the centre as it does sag a bit too. That pic was taken when it was quite windy here, so it's about as much as it will do. Also trying to keep the set-up as simple and quick as possible.

Back