Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Battery Terminals and connectors

warrenpfo

Seen as I seem to have plenty of time on my hands I am planning my build for the new cruiser (if she ever arrives).

I wanted to ask a number of questions around battery terminals and connectors.

1.What is best to stop battery terminal corrosion and what causes terminal corrosion? I am talking about that white/bluish/greenish substance left on the terminal connector that seems to cause it to disintegrate.
2.Seen as my batteries do not have an auxilery post connector I wanted to know what terminal connectors are best as I have seen a number in the market ranging from quick connector types to those that you crimp and those that you bolt the cable to.
3.Are all terminal connectors made equal? i.e would those from eBay do the job?
4.Are battery terminal covers recommended or a waste of time?

I just smear the posts and clamps with vaseline. :thumbup:
I tried the quick connect ones, but they can be a bit too quick to lose contact :thumbdown:
I've been told the eBay ones can be poor quality :thumbdown:
No idea whether covers are useful :think:

As above, petroleum jelly (vaseline) smeared on the posts and terminals stops the corrosion, as will any grease, but vaseline is best.

The powdery stuff over the terminals is sulphation of the acid in the battery, as the battery is charged, the acid/water mix (sulphuric acid) gets hot and partially evaporates, as the gas leaves the battery it causes the powder on the terminals, as it is acidic, it will eventually eat it's way through anything and everything.
Best way to get rid of it is boiling water, wash it away thoroughly.
Boil your kettle and pour it all over the terminals and down the wing to get rid of all of it.

All terminal covers do is protect the terminals from shorting out, when you decide to put your spanner down somewhere, they do nothing other than that.

nivapilot said:
All terminal covers do is protect the terminals from shorting out, when you decide to put your spanner down somewhere, they do nothing other than that.
I accidentally did that once, gave me the fright of my life, I now lay a small piece of carpet over the battery if I'm working under the bonnet :thumbup:

Best to wash it off as described with with solution of Bicarb IIRC as that neutralises the acid. I'm not a chemist, but we know someone who is...

Chris

I always use a cover on the positive especially if I've added stuff to it. Halfrauds will sell you some fancy stuff to put on the terminals, but grease or Vaseline is good. KY is no good for this particular application ;-)

Raw components or Vehicle Wiring Products for terminals - I always use crimp lugs for cable and get terminals with accessory posts - 8mm on positive and 6mm on negative so it's hard(er) to mix things up :lol:

And Bicarb mixture (baking powder) neutralises battery acid and the muck on your battery terminals too. Often caused by a short there somewhere I'm told so make sure it's all tight.

Just my tuppence worth ...

Cheers

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I went with THESE heavy duty marine post terminals on my setup. I also have one of THESE on each positive terminal for easy disconnecting - this has turned out to be an excellent mod, that is especially useful while I am still doing electrical work on the truck.

EDIT - I also bought some Durite terminal covers, but with as many connections as I have on the starter battery, and with the isolators, I don't think I will be able to use them.

I have found coca cola to be good at removeing the crud that can develop on battery terminals ;)
Then I usually cover them in grease or coppaslip after rinsing the coke off with water and drying the terminals :)
I have been told that if the top of the battery is wet then that can develop a short between the terminals leading to electrolysis of the terminals, the afore mentioned crud.
Still so much to learn :dance:

fridayman said:
I went with THESE heavy duty marine post terminals on my setup. I also have one of THESE on each positive terminal for easy disconnecting - this has turned out to be an excellent mod, that is especially useful while I am still doing electrical work on the truck.
It's worth checking your local car accessory shop for those marine post terminals, I got mine for £6.98 each and no P&P obviously :doh: and those quick disconnect were the ones I had problems with. if you don't screw them up really tight you get arcing and they burn out, you can't tighten them as much as a bolt-up clamp. :think:

If its a leisure battery in the cabin area causing the sulphate, I'd be inclined to have it replaced. I dont think I'd want sulphuric acid powder floating around the cabin. It can cause burns to people, clothes and upholstery etc when it comes in contact, especially if moist.

Cossack said:
... those quick disconnect were the ones I had problems with. if you don't screw them up really tight you get arcing and they burn out, you can't tighten them as much as a bolt-up clamp. :think:

I've added a spring washer to prevent this, but will keep a close eye on them. Did you have the green or the black ones?

fridayman said:
Cossack said:
... those quick disconnect were the ones I had problems with. if you don't screw them up really tight you get arcing and they burn out, you can't tighten them as much as a bolt-up clamp. :think:

I've added a spring washer to prevent this, but will keep a close eye on them. Did you have the green or the black ones?
Mine were red, that is the screw thingy you turned were red.

Back