I bought this of eblag a few weeks ago
Station%20Clock%202_zpsbmj7r6ob.jpg

Station%20clock%201_zpsupql8cmp.jpg

Been tinkering with it for ten minuets here & there and
036_zpszahvjcvp.jpg

035_zpsbs697ri7.jpg
034_zpsaoyp31pf.jpg

Very smart. :thumbup:

Where did the extra dial come from all of a sudden? Oh I get it, it was second hand... :lol:

Quick edit: That might have been mildly amusing if it hadn't been a thermometer. :roll:

Last edited:
Yes,

its 11:30... :lol:

No mate, maybe I should, but I've looked at all the obvious stuff...

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ha ha, not here it isn't, the number four is wrong, it's IV not IIII, never seen one like it before.

???? The roman number 4 looks fine to me....... Every pic shows it as IV

Displaying 4 as either IIII or IV occurred even during Roman times so neither one can be regarded as incorrect. I've seen clocks and watches with both.
IIII is known as 'additive' and IV as 'subtractive notation. The clock face pictured shows both, 8 being VIII and 4 as IV.

Last edited:
Forgot to add, a very nice clock there JM. Have you bought it to refurb and sell on or have you a place reserved for it at home?

I never knew they were optional, i, ii, iii, iv, v, vi, vii, viii, ix and x is how I've always used Roman numerals. Not that it makes it conclusive, that's how Microsoft presents them too.

Interesting! Nice clock though, any idea which station it came from?

Loving looking clock, restoration of that kind takes patience, not something I was gifted with. And I do not have a clue as to what is right or wrong about the Roman numerals, all I do know is, if it did come from a UK train station, it will never be on time! :icon-biggrin:

regards

Dave

It won't be English made with a 4 shown as IV. Nice body Dave now lets have some pictures of the movement. Electric I assume ?

Last edited:
Browsed the interweb, a sure enough most (not all) had iiii for 4 o'clock!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

A it more browsing....

Big Ben's clock face uses iv....

image.jpg

Last edited:
Phil, i had a place at home at the front of the house ear marked for it but the rest of the household reckon it will get vandalised, they may well be right but i am going to keep it.
Frank, no not electric, it's a simple battery jobby.

Back