Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Beer Keg

warrenpfo

I have been given 1 full size keg and 2 half size kegs and am wondering what to do with them. They are empty and the chap who gave them to me has said he has no idea where they came from so cant return them.

I had thought maybe a bbq or a smoker or open top fire pit? Any other smarter ideas?

Aluminium? Remember Al melts at around 550. Whereas steel is around 1200 plus. You don't see many alloy BBQs. Not where the heat is direct anyway. Log burners get pretty hot.
Of course it might be wooden in which case I'd suggest cutting it in half and planting geraniums in it.

Chris

Nope they are Metal, may be sainless but not sure as i have not got them yet. Having a look around there seems to many ideas for stoves and smokers.

Stainless? Hmm. I doubt it very much. They'd weigh a tonne empty. Just be careful, many kegs are marked by the brewery and to be in possession of them is theft. When they are scrap,, they tend to go through an authorised route to be destroyed. I was involved in forensic metallurgy and the police used to bring samples of beer kegs, copper cable, suspects clothing etc and we had to match up the composition of metal to the clothes etc, it's taken very seriously.

I would suggest that getting a couple of kegs here and there is nothing, but you wanted to make you aware. Your contact me be 100% legit, but if not then people may be watching.

Hope you can TIG weld.

Chris

Back