Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Best cordless phone.

frank rabbets

Guru
We are having fibre in to house so there will be a new main box. Trouble is I relocated the position of the present one by crawling 30 ft under the floor boards to get to where my 4 extensions come off. They won't want to do that so I might have to revert to cordless phones. My experience of calling my friends who have these is that they are a bit poor. Does anyone know of a top quality system? One of my extensions is in my garage 50 metres away and with concrete walls.

If your main box is on the end of the correct wire, why not get them to utilise it and just fit the new master socket where the old one is? There’s nothing wrong with taking your extensions off at that point. If I’m doubt you could start by being economicalbwith the information. Alternately if need be can you pull the new cable in on the existing? Would it go now you’ve got effectively a draw wire in. If it’s proper BT type cable then they should be none the wiser and simply change it.

The higher speeds VDSL (fibre broadband) delivers are more susceptible to home wiring issues than ADSL or 'ordinary' broadband if you like. Specifically whats called 'star wiring' where the line from the exchange is not connected directly to the main socket first and then out to the extensions, rather it terminates in a multi point connection with wires out to all sockets. Also old obsolete main sockets can affect speeds and stability. Usually you can ask for a full install where any of these wiring issues will be sorted even if rewiring/resiting of the main socket is required. A VDSL specific filtered front plate is then usually fitted to the main socket to filter out all the extension wiring. If you're paying for a faster fibre connection it seems daft not to get the wiring sorted and make the best of it.

As far as cordless phones go we've had a Panasonic (1 base station, 3 handsets) for a few years now and apart from replacing the rechargeable batteries it's been faultless and the range is very good, even with the base unit downstairs. As with any RF device, the higher you site the base station the better.

Same here. Panasonic. I’m not certain it would do 50 m though. In fact I know our model doesn’t through two walls but if you put the base station in a window nearest your garage…it just might.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I got one Panasonic and one Siemens set 20 years ago. The Pana died, but the Siemens is still fantastic.

Back