Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Big thanks to Trevor

THL

Country Flag
europe
Just wanted to say thanks to Trevor for all his help and work rebuilding the front axle of my 80s Landcruiser.

What was a straight rebuild turned into a bit more as on initial inspection it was apparent that there were some random parts 'finangled' in there. I picked up the truck Friday evening and the difference was immediately noticeable, feels really solid and no more wandering :). Also thanks to Mike for sourcing parts.

The truck is now all set to carry on doing what its been doing for another 136,000 miles hopefully.

Cheers Trevor!

IMG_4965.jpg

Nice Post @THL, and a happy birthday to you :occasion-birthdaym:

Judging by the black stains on your cross-brace above the track control arm, a leak in your power steering circuit will be next on your to-do list. I’ve been plagued with PS leaks on mine, slowly ticking them off one by one.

@clivehorridge thanks, 23 again :)

Yep, PS pump leak is next on the list. Its not a huge leak but its been there for some time so its been managed by topping up the reservoir. I've had a look at Trevor's rebuild guide... I need to get a bit more familiar with it and get some more tools!

Strangely, my pump hasn’t been leaking, started with the steering box itself, leaking from every seal and more, then it was a crimped high pressure flexi-hose, renewed that, and next it was a ruptured low pressure feed hose from the reservoir.

It’s still weeping a bit now, so I need to go underneath again. I suspect the pump this time, theres not much else it can be... :icon-rolleyes:

Hopefully you've got it sorted. Had experience (well my wallet did) of chasing an oil leak on an old car, whatever was fixed seemed to increase the stress/pressure on the surrounding parts that in turn needed replacing!

With the power steering pump, heating of the oil has detrimental effects on seals. If the oil looks dark and smells burned, it's likely the rebuild will do it the world of good. Heat gets into any hydraulic circuit where the oil leaks past against a spring or other load, such as in an unloader (relief valve) for example.

Reactions: THL
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
With the power steering pump, heating of the oil has detrimental effects on seals. If the oil looks dark and smells burned, it's likely the rebuild will do it the world of good. Heat gets into any hydraulic circuit where the oil leaks past against a spring or other load, such as in an unloader (relief valve) for example.

Rich, my service guys have suggested that as a legacy of me running the vehicle for about 200km with no power steering fluid (a burst pipe whilst on the road and limping it home) my pump will be “worn” and will never deliver the power as intended.

I have to admit that lately, the steering is unusually heavy, as when I first had the truck, I could go from lock to lock with one finger, alas no more. Would this mean a replacement pump, or are the gears/or other components that would wear, replaceable?

I’m willing to fit a new pump (if I can get one) because my problem will be more than just leaky seals, I’m sure.

Guys having steering issues pretty much since buying the vehicle and having experienced the steering pump pressure being unregulated even after testing to be ok, finically changed over to another one and that stopped those issues.

What occurred many a time was the steering pump pressure busting the steering box seals. Now after many repairs still have a small leak so now going to buy the selected parts from Amayama for around €16 to hopefully finally get it working right.

Adding to the list of jobs like you guys it’s always on going :doh:

D392D1CD-D677-4C42-B52F-FA83012710BD.jpeg

First rebuild of my SB was ‘cos of leaks, it worked fine, but leaked like a sieve.

Second and third builds were due to a snapped and then twisted (respectively) sector shaft (44111) above.

New seals in each time, and no leaks since the first rebuild.

The high pressure crimped flexi-pipe burst caught me out ages ago, made me drive on empty and that has damaged the pump, so I’m told, so its time to change it I think.

80s know we like spending money on them, like a good woman does... :crazy:

I would have thought @karl webster would be the chap to talk to, then add the kit of seals etc, give it a good clean and replace yours Clive. All should be well after that. It's great that Toyota thought to make the pump gear driven but you can't slip a belt off if you have a problem. It certainly sounds like you had too much pressure in the system for hoses and seals to go like that Clive.

Thanks Rich

Yes it's worth trying me for all new and used parts and I'm always here to help if you have any problems I can help over the phone.

Isn't there a pressure relief valve in the system somewhere so as not to burst a high pressure hose?

It’s a logical train of thought, admitted, but I have no illusions that the leaking seals and burst pipe were due to an over-pressurized system.

On the first build, he replaced bearings/bushings as well as the seals, and IMO, the seals failed because the bearings/bushings had failed.

This was literally 6 months after I bought the truck and the PO admitted that there had been a PS leak ‘for some time....’.

The hose that failed 6 months after the SB rebuild was rotten... I recon the PO had put some ‘different’ PS fluid in it during its leaky stage, and it had dissolved the rubber over time, likely softened the seals as well.

Running it dry would logically wear something, and that something, I’m told, is not easily replaceable, so I’m quite ready to be in for a replacement.

My main reason for posting about it here was to draw attention to others not to run their systems dry, if it can be avoided.

Guys having steering issues pretty much since buying the vehicle and having experienced the steering pump pressure being unregulated even after testing to be ok, finically changed over to another one and that stopped those issues.

What occurred many a time was the steering pump pressure busting the steering box seals. Now after many repairs still have a small leak so now going to buy the selected parts from Amayama for around €16 to hopefully finally get it working right.

Adding to the list of jobs like you guys it’s always on going :doh:

View attachment 139813
there is a complete gasket and seal kit available dervis.
amayama £64.61 plus postage

partsouq £74.68 plus postage

mega zip £79.14 plus postage

me £60 inc postage.

there is a complete gasket and seal kit available dervis.
amayama £64.61 plus postage

partsouq £74.68 plus postage

mega zip £79.14 plus postage

me £60 inc postage.

I know Mile because I've rebuilt in more than once am only needing the selected parts illustrated this time around. Thanks

Back