Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bin man in serious need of help

karl webster

Supporter
Guru
Well yesterday morning I sets of on my usual drive to work. I came across a bin lorry that had tried to take a right hand corner that went back on itself from the lane we were traveling.To add to this tricky junction it was on a down hill section.
So what the bin lorry ended up with was he was up against the stone wall with his front bumper and his wheels were just spinning. I drove past first time as I was in my golf. I had to go back home about two hours later and they were still there. Wheels were still spinning and he was only getting deeper into the road with a nice smell of rubber.
I stopped and went over to them and said 'I don't think your getting out lads' anyway off I goes to get the cruiser. Took my solid tow bar as the weight of them things would not do the straps much good.
Hooked up to him and he was out in a jiffy,well after a few forward and backwards shunts to get round the corner with help from me.
Anyway,about 6 very happy bin men who couldn't say thankyou enough.They offered me some money but I declined and said maybe one day I may be stuck. Quite a nice feeling seeing there happy faces.

Well done.

What was the weight of the lorry?

Gra

Well done.

What was the weight of the lorry?

Gra

I have a feeling they are 44tonne Graham. Not sure how heavy he was. Surprised me what these things can do. With the uphill pull as well.

I wanted to get photos but thought they may think I was a bit strange lol

A full size 6 wheel bin lorry is normally about 26ton GVW.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Agh i happen to know exactly what they weigh. 14 tons empty &around 23 tons full. workshop opposit me have four of them & im often helping the mechanic out doing something to one of them. often see the tickts from the tip when they go on and off the weighbridge.
btw they do have difflocks

Surprised at that Doddle. Though they were heavier than that. Must be getting confused with the six wheel concrete wagon we use for concreting.
26 tonne gvw.... The golf would have pulled it out then :lol:

:lol: Frank

Agh i happen to know exactly what they weigh. 14 tons empty &around 23 tons full. workshop opposit me have four of them & im often helping the mechanic out doing something to one of them. often see the tickts from the tip when they go on and off the weighbridge.
btw they do have difflocks

This one had rear wheel steer Brian. Is the steering axel a driving axel? Diff locks couldn't have been working properly.

Is a good chance it had working diff locks and the drivers didn't know how to use them ... ?

any photos ? (work servers block them so i will have to look on my phone if there are)

Karl, the Good Samaritan. :thumbup:

Made a boo boo earlier. 17 tons empty. dont think the steering axle is a driving axle

Really wanted to take some Andrew but didn't want to look a prat lol.

:clap: Well done Karl, great feeling helping folk out :icon-cool:

Well done Karl, it does give you a sense of "right" doesn't it?
I diagnostic'd a Discovery 2 for a random guy the other day - from the Discovery 2 forum, don't know him but they're a great group of lads over there so I was more than happy to offer some reciprocation for the help I've had in the past.
Note to self - sell Nanocom Diagnostic gear!!

Nice one, always feels good helping people imo

Back