Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bitterly disappointed. Another 80 viewing

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Some may know I have been chasing a particular 80 for some while; a blue R plater with OME, ARB etc etc. Ridiculous screen price, but not what agreed behind the scenes. So yesterday Lord Lomas and I set off down South to give it a full health check. The pictures all said 'buy me'.

We got there and we shown into the garage where the car was right at the back. A little tricky to get around but initial glances exchanged between us said 'looks like a gem'.

Everything worked - the lockers fired without even moving. It was obviously cold but fired first touch. All the added extras were spot on, winch, suspension etc. Underside was black but not painted. Slight weep from inner oils seals. All FIVE wheels were reconditioned alloys with brand new BFGs. No rust anywhere. Interior hadn't been cleaned, but you would hardly have noticed. Gearbox didn't have a single issue and would pop into 1st and second, cold when changing down at speed.

It drove beautifully although Andy thought it a little bit flat. I could have driven off in it toward the sunset.

So why disappointed? Well, I hopped up to look at the sunroof and to my horror, found the roof looked as though a pallet of bricks had landed on it. The dents were so bad that there was standing water in them. The guys selling it for this chap locally, clearly had no idea. They'd never looked up there. They were a bit stunned too. OK it could be fixed, but did I want a car that had been fixed? Then I spotted a joint that didn't look right. As we worked around the car it was clear that it had been in an OS front shunt. All of the panels had been 'adjusted' to take up the gaps around the bonnet, door, wing, valance etc. The bonnet fitted perfectly over on headlight, but there was a half inch gap over the other.

Then Andy noticed the TURBO stickers were missing and the rear end had been re sprayed too. At this point the dealer chap just lost any interest in talking to us as I guess he figured we'd busted this one. Was it nice over all. Yes, a beauty. But it was not what was advertised and the little issues just kept adding up. Would I have this at any money? Yes, I would. It was fine and would make a nice daily drive. But, it was originally on at £15K. Now at £12k and although I had negotiated a much better deal, it was now definitely not worth that either and I know the owner simply will not budge from that. To me it's not a £6k car at best.

So, back to the drawing board unless he rings me begging me to buy it!

Chris

I am pretty sure that the rear quarter panel turbo stickers were never put on the Amazon 80s. Can you think of anyone on here that does have them?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Maybe, maybe not Rob but the fact remains that it wasn't factory paint on the rear wings, you know, ripple effect, sinkage marks, less than factory flatness etc. As we looked at it for longer more and more revealed itself as past history and the fact that you couldn't have got the front panel gaps right without major surgery was the worrying part for me, oh and the unbelievable damage to the roof.
Still it was a run out.

Andy

Sounds like a couple I went to see when looking for a 80, the more you looked the more issues could be seen.
Went to view one and didn't even come to a stop, soon as I saw it I carried on driving lol.

I am pretty sure that the rear quarter panel turbo stickers were never put on the Amazon 80s. Can you think of anyone on here that does have them?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Nope, got a 1998 registered 80, manufactured in 03/1997, however badged as an Amazon, which does have the turbo stickers.

HTH
IQ

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Adrian, many thanks for the offer to look at it for me. Very kind. In the end just as well as you didn't I guess. If I had only had 30 seconds in an auction to place a bid, I would have bet the bank I'm afraid. And lost.

Now roof damage aside, it still stood very very well. But with the expectations of the owner it's never going to sell for the proper price. Again, I'd say it would cross 5 continents with nothing more than a refuel. Everything else was tip top. But I am sure that most of you will understand, I am not looking for mint or immaculate, but I am looking for straight. Scuffs and scrapes I can take. The odd leak I can handle, but repairs I frankly don't want. Not for mint money.

Chris

It is, but as I said, I had got them to a different place on the money. At which I was just about happy - until I found the roof and the other bits. Given the efforts to get them to that point, I am not sure that they'll move again. They'd fix the roof, they said that. But then they'd want my full original offer I think, which I would not be prepared to honour.
They were very clear that they disagreed with my view point on resprays. In their view, any vehicle of this age would most like have been resprayed. Not damaged and fixed, that could stand for ANY car, but resprayed and this would be quite normal. I disagree. There are lots of 80s out there in your hands, which have not been resprayed I'm sure.

Chris

It just goes to show that there's always going to be someone who will try to sell you something that isn't. Mine had been in a shunt when I went to view it, but fair play, it was the first thing the seller told me when I arrived.

I'm having the repairs re-repaired these days because they were probably done 10 or so years ago, but at least I'm not finding out I was duped.

Keep looking, you'll find your "Blue R" eventually!

Garage at Woolhampton, on the A4?

I've looked at stuff there before (I used to live 3 miles from it) and was so-so with it. I'm not sure if they're connected to the residents on the other side of the road...

When I lived there they were tending towards BMW and Merc's but they might have changed from those now.

With the 80 series it has one of those silly pointless chrome roof rack things which can carry no weight at all, and tend to be used to hold stuff straight on the roof.

Even with all the stuff I've put on the roof of cars over the years, the only damage I've done to the roof is scratches from the rack straps and my watch strap.

Good Luck!

Their view is a bit dubious! I've never bought a car or an anything that was resprayed and i have only ever bought 2 that were less than 10 years old out of a total of about 16 or 17 down the years. Even have a 78 merc and a 79 merc that were never resprayed!

The odd bit of paintwork fair enough, had a little bump and a body repair but a respray usual means a big bump. I've got 3 year old focus that's had a bit of paintwork, had a scrape on rear door and 1/4.
My 80 has had a wheel arch trim painted, previous owner openly told me he had it done after catching it.

Even if they repaired the roof etc and you bought it, would you really be happy with it unless was a lot cheaper.
Does look a nice motor in the pics.

Yes the answer is, Amazons have "turbo" on the rear wings as standard. Just looked at a photo of Towpacks highly original 98 Amazon and it has them on. They are very expensive for a simple transfer and if people had a rear wing repair they just didn't put it back. When I enquired at the local Mr T for a pair that were missing from my GS I didn't get them either and was told by the parts guy a vinyl sign firm could produce the same thing at a fraction of the price.,

Andy

That's strange Andy, mine were a bit gruby & worn some parts missing & i got a pair from yota's for around £25 immic that was about three years ago, hot air gun gets the old ones off & the new ones come with a template to position them in the right place, made all the difference to the visual look of the vehicle, i like things right, one of my weaknesses, i have others but that's another story. lol

Jet wash set to 'stun' get them off very easily. Anyway, immeterial and Andy says. It had been re painted on the ar5e end regardless of whether it originally had decals or not.

Seen the one at nearly 10k that's just come on? M plate, very tidy but £9250 starting bid? What a *&$%

C

Last edited:
Just looked at that.

As people in certain parts of England say 'ee's avin a blooody laaff moite!'

Is the other one a total waste of time to even ring about or were they dropping the price to a 'sane' level after a bit of negotiation.

The bodywork wouldn't worry me too much one the chassis was ok or was it all slightly out of true?

It was never sane to start with Yogi. The bloke's expectations are off the scale. He doesn't need to sell it all. He has a large collection and not short of dosh. He may well just pull this. I need to mail the guys selling it to see what the final outcome might be if you can just give a me a bit of room there before diving in. But I can assure you it's not going to go for for a 4 figure sum. I have been working on this truck for over 9 months.

Chris

Oh i wasn't going to step on your toes, first come first served!!
Didn't mean it that way, was just curious if you had no interest any more. Its way out of my price range at 5 figures cause i would rather buy one and spend money on it than spend all my money buying it if you get my drift.

It was just when you said discount I was secretly hoping you meant price devided by 2!!

Back