Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bj74 1hdt h55f combo!

Iwan

Country Flag
wales
Bought my bj74 a few years ago and since then I've been planning on a restoration.
It's leaf sprung heavy with no light duty 8" differential's to be seen!

Ive managed to buy a hzj75 bell housing from Australia a few weeks back and this last weekend I joined my spare hj60 h55f to my 1hdt from my 81...
20181126_201831.jpg

Perfect fit! Meant to be!
20181126_201853.jpg

Sweet sight! Absolutely amazed by the factory look!
20181126_201925.jpg

Lots to do. Transfer rebuild, gearbox needs to be stripped down to change the input shaft (hzj75 )
1543265544608.jpg

New input shaft. .. made by taiho.. nice bit of kit! And I thought that taiho made dosgy 80 series bebs! Lol! I think thats quite to the contrary!

I'm liking the look of this setup! More to come!:thumbup:

Love it Iwan. Was thinking of the same combo for my 60 one day but in a BJ74 it should be perfect!! Will look forward to progress

Keeping busy iwan?:)
as usual, great work.

Is the 75 bell housing the same as the 80 Iwan?
what made you pair the 60 box to the 1hdt? because you had the 60 box.

Is the 60 box as strong as the later 80 box do you know?

The 80 box is too long to fit in most 70 series applications and whilst the engines fit the gearboxes dont. The 60 box isn't as strong but its not weak. Its Achilles heel is the 5th gear which will be the first thing to fail.

"New input shaft. .. made by taiho.. nice bit of kit! And I thought that taiho made dosgy 80 series bebs! Lol! I think thats quite to the contrary!"

They make some very high quality japanese made components. They just happen to be sensible priced.:icon-wink:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The 75 housing has the same bolt pattern as the 80 box, the auto backing plate and 80 starter position is the same as the hzj75.

In the past I attempted to fit a 1kzt and r151f box in the bj74, with none of the engine and gearbox mounts in the correct position, it was very difficult to get it to fit right! I realised to use the h55f then the props and mounting crossmember would be a straight fit, just leaving the engine mounts to get right.

The chassis on the bj74 is 40mm narrower than the 80 series so I intend on using 2 80 series passenger side chassis mounts as the passenger side one is yes 40mm shorter than the drivers side 80 series.

The H55f is known for a weak 5th gear.... so I guess would need to be care full. But they do take some hammer too. This is a great way to hook up a 1hdt into the older cruisers.

Have a gearbox and transfer rebuild kits coming from Australia when my mate comes home for xmas..:thumbup:

The 80 box is too long to fit in most 70 series applications and whilst the engines fit the gearboxes dont. The 60 box isn't as strong but its not weak. Its Achilles heel is the 5th gear which will be the first thing to fail.

When I did my 80 swap I made markings on a long piece of wood of the 80 engine and box. Then placed it in the 74.... it didn't leave a lot of space for the rear prop. Another reason to take this route!

"New input shaft. .. made by taiho.. nice bit of kit! And I thought that taiho made dosgy 80 series bebs! Lol! I think thats quite to the contrary!"

They make some very high quality japanese made components. They just happen to be sensible priced.:icon-wink:

Lol I was joking, it's a very well made bit of kit... at 390 AU dollars!

"Lol I was joking, it's a very well made bit of kit... at 390 AU dollars"

Lol.
Whooooosh!

The BJ74, did it come with the 13BT engine? If so, I think you are mad swapping out a 13BT for 1HDT :laughing:

Yeah if it had a 13bt with the original gearbox then I would nt be needing to do this.

It was last registered in Ireland county cork back in 2011! Then it became a donor truck for another bj74 at some point after.

20160324_170729.jpg

Nice init! Solid but with plenty of bashes!

Hi Iwan that look like being one more top job from you r you ok county cork that is where the old man come from will have to come up and see you for a cup of tea wen I get me exhaust back on the cruiser it's a big:thumbup: up from Tony.

Cheers Tony! It would be very good to have a catch up mate, it's been quite a while man and very welcome to come over of course!:thumbup:

Been feeling a bit wiped out by 8 months on various jobs but yesterday managed to do a hit on the 74.

Ever since I got it, it's had all the interior stripped out and all the remaining parts piled inside so was very good to empty it and file all the parts into another truck! Lol

It's completely bare inside and have managed to get all the body mounts off too so... working towards getting it split then the project will roll on from there.

I'm doing some research into getting the fibreglass top off and have read that if you don't get all the bolts out then there's the risk in cracking the roof, then it's always going to be a convertible!! I'm also wondering if I should weld in bracing in the door apertures as the doors are coming off too... worried that it'll wrap when I lift it off.

Nice to have a project!:thumbup:

A couple of pictures. .
20181202_160106.jpg

Very curious about the fact that the front floor pan is painted silver almost as if it was designated to be a silver truck. Never seen that before! I've been thinking about what colour to paint it. White first choice then silver. But a long way from that!
20181202_160140.jpg

Probably one of the last pictures of it before its just components! :icon-biggrin:

Bj73 lifted.jpeg

Kinda like this as a benchmark. Top off in the summer and with the lid in the winter! Can get the original type front grill from euro 4x4 for 40e... good price that!

Hi Iwan, i recognise that 74, should be a beast with the new engine / gearbox combo, you still got that 60? cheers jon

Hi Jon, good to hear from you.. been a while mate. Finally having a go at the 74 and looking forward in getting the next hit on it. Still have the 60 ... speak again soon!:thumbup:

Finally have some time for myself and have made some progress with this!
P1010385.JPG

A quick rejig of the work area and has enabled me to get a better picture of the job in hand.

P1010399.JPG

The worst of it but on both sides. Only way to go is to take your time and it will evolve...
P1010397.JPG

So very typical being a JDM cruiser... zero under body protection! It's almost a blessing that it was a donner truck really! It's solid with surface rust... seen many lj70's which are destroyed by rust here! Imagine rebuilding this area?
P1010402.JPG

The chassis is mint! Most/A lot of the paint is still on it and will put a lot of modern cruiser chassis' to shame!
Sooo am looking at trying out buzzweld for this one,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-L-Ch...lake-Chassis-In-One-CIO-Buzzweld/112555589253
This one, can spray or brush on.. Has anyone used this? Be interested to hear in peoples opinion!
Thanks in advance!:thumbup:

Back