Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Blue Smoke

This is purely speculation, but the injectors have oil running past them to help cool them, if the O ring has damage, any residual oil when the engine isn't running could run down the injector and past the leaking seat. If it's No.1(front) one that is leaking, then perhaps more oil will get in when parked downhill. As I said, just a guess ! I think I posted this before, but if not it gives an idea of what happens when a seat leaks:

This is purely speculation, but the injectors have oil running past them to help cool them, if the O ring has damage, any residual oil when the engine isn't running could run down the injector and past the leaking seat. If it's No.1(front) one that is leaking, then perhaps more oil will get in when parked downhill. As I said, just a guess ! I think I posted this before, but if not it gives an idea of what happens when a seat leaks:

That's interesting. Never knew why those seals were there.

That pickup looks mucky to me. Haven't you had your seals done though, or am I confusing you with someone else? What mileage have you done? Worrying if "proper" seals start going. Might tie in more with the Oz approach of replacing injectors as consumables.

Seals were done as part of the Toyota recall few years ago, but who knows what they really did.

Currently at 128k miles, probably 50k miles on these seals

As much as I like the 120, I am getting to the point where I'm going to do the minimum to fix it and sell it. So Prob just change the seals and clean the pickup...

{edit} Just checked and the recall was done in Oct 2011 and at 73k miles. Something not right, or they did not do the job properly at the time....

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Seals were done as part of the Toyota recall few years ago, but who knows what they really did.

Currently at 128k miles, probably 50k miles on these seals

As much as I like the 120, I am getting to the point where I'm going to do the minimum to fix it and sell it. So Prob just change the seals and clean the pickup...
Form an orderly queue and let @Higgy sell his first, there a good chap :)

With all the posts lately about 120s going wrong... Seems like mines the best one out there....:lol:.. Good lord! May god help you all..:thumbup:
Yours is the nicest one I've ever seen

Now now, I'll have no hating of 120's.....

It is a sad state of affairs though, 128k miles is nothing. Really make me smoke :laughing-rolling:

With all the posts lately about 120s going wrong... Seems like mines the best one out there....:lol:.. Good lord! May god help you all..:thumbup:
Higgy, it's perfect for you... One lady owner from new, driven to church and back.. Only

The 120 is becoming the new LR TDV6 Disco... A few up for Grabs for Spares or repair, Its not that nice to look at. The Disco 3 is a lot better looking... The introduction of the Common rail injection system ruined the basic concept of a Diesel engine.. Toyota and most of the 4x4 Manufacturers Had their Finest Hour a long time ago. Never to be Repeated unfortunately.... Two 120s in my life would push me to the limit Tony... Im signing off now before i get shot..:icon-eek:

The video reminds me of mine a few months ago. Injector seat blowby possibly cylinder no 2.
I bought the most crappyist LC5 on this forum. Chucked loads of money at it, and realised one thing, because they are so reliable previous owners will not maintain them. They move them on when something starts going wrong. The weak point in the 1KD-FTV engine , so I have learnt is the Injectors and the rubbish copper washer seats , Get some replacement injectors , newer aluminium coated seats, and you will be just fine. Oh yes the turbo oil seal is another issue, possibly by the previous owners revving the B*%3lks out of it when cold.

Last edited:
May have found the problem....

20190608_174804.jpg
20190608_174807.jpg
20190608_174810.jpg
20190608_174814.jpg
20190608_182002.jpg

Cleaned them all up, new seats/seals and o-rings , all back together...

Sadly something not right, engine not swinging over, like something jammed... going to have to strip it again to check if I missed anything...

Looks like you have found the problem and caused another, its my guess its that 10mm socket you couldn't find when it was all back together :lol:.
Its not really helping I know.

Keep trying in short bursts, there was a swear word or three with mine before it turned over and kicked into life. Job definitely needed doing !

Last edited:
Looks like you have found the problem and caused another, its my guess its that 10mm socket you couldn't find when it was all back together :lol:.
Its not really helping I know.
interestingly enough I did drop a 10mm socket which fell down and I have yet to find, but the cam cover was still on so I suspect that's on the bash plate somewhere

Keep trying in short bursts, there was a swear word or three with mine before it turned over and kicked into life. Job definitely needed doing !

I'll try to turn it by hand this morning first , if it turns then I'll give this a go, otherwise it's open up time again

Good luck with it. Could be wrong, but I put it down to there being air in the pipes and injectors and until a bit of fuel started flowing, the brain (s) didn't have any readings to work with.

Back