Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

broken down, need assistance!

Analogue man

Hi all, in a bit of trouble on the m25, aux belts both snapped and its bank holiday! Anyone local able to help? I've just passed A217 near Reigate / Hingswood. Got tools just need belts
Thanks

Good to hear. Hope it wasn't too traumatic!

M25 Arrggh.

Thinking about it, both belts going is odd. I've always questioned why there are two. Ahh said someone, if one snaps, the other will keep going. Hmm, I spot a flaw in that argument ...

I only see this when belts that are not purchased as a matched pair, i.e. OEM Toyota or careful measuring when buying from an aftermarket supplier.

Glad it got sorted.

Regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've heard that if one belt goes, as it flies off, a loose end can get caught under the other belt, over tensioning and breaking it or simply dislodging it from the v-pulleys.

That's an explanation I had when one broke and the other was hanging off the back of the pulleys.

I have no other explanation, and it's sort of plausible.

It would be interesting what sort of M25 "bush" repair you came up with...

Good you got mobile again though... :thumbup:

A couple of things apart from a preference for matched pairs of belts which without doubt extend belt life.

The first is I am more of the opinion that twin belts is more about longevity rather than one taking over from the other in the event of failure.

The other is about loading, twin belts sharing the load means a longer life, less chance of slippage and the subsequent flat battery. The standard belt was fine years back driving a dynamo capable of a heady 22 amps, but I have noticed over the years that as alternators became capable of higher outputs belt life was becoming shorter. With the use of newer materials such as Kevlar the typical 'V' belt life was extended for awhile but, with demand from power hungry modern vehicles rising along with the need for extended servicing periods, the V belt has surrendered to the serpentine style, this along with a self tensioner has resulted in less belt failures overall.

The 80 is often a victim of its own strength and reliability, servicing gets left too long, many owners often citing the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mantra, then costs to repair properly are expensive, the result is a vehicle that gets sold needing plenty of TLC or simply scrapped.

Fortunately many are rescued by club members where that cost is recognised and allowed for during their ownership.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
I don't think the belts are matched Dave. They are made to such tight tolerance there is no need. Further more the front pullies wear much more than the rear so after some miles you would need 2 of different lengths anyway.

Just changed mine as part of preventative maintenance, the new ones were sold as pair but have tensioned up slightly differently so will monitor tension as they bed in and readjust to compensate.

I had very similar - both alternator belts snapped (fairly new "gates" as well) - I couldnt work out why - fortunately I had the old ones in the boot, couldn't see a reason why (everything spun up fine) - so got on my merry way - about 80 miles later they went again and the alternator was seized. In true Cruiser 80 style it was trying to give me a clue (the bearings on the alternator were dying).

The annoyance on the second break down was I needed a shorter belt to drive the water pump (I could have easily traveled the daylight 20 miles home on battery power only) - remember the emergency cut to length fan belts that were common place in the 70's and 80's? The AA guy told me they are not allowed to carry them anymore :-(

I don't think the belts are matched Dave. They are made to such tight tolerance there is no need. Further more the front pullies wear much more than the rear so after some miles you would need 2 of different lengths anyway.

The belts are sold as a matched pair according to Toyota parts guy, if you purchase from Toyota they are only sold as a matched pair. I did on one ocassion order two belts for my own car, both came from a local supplier the brand 'Continental', identical part numbers different lengths! :icon-evil: Ordered two from Bosch and even they were slightly different, not enough to be an issue though.

I see no reason why pulley's of the same diameter running on a common shaft would wear differently Frank, could you elaborate? Perhaps the use of mis-matched belts has caused excessive wear on one track?

One problem I have seen as per @Paul installation is different tensions between the belts on matched pairs. Almost certainly the lower pivot hole in the alternator AND the hole in the mounting bracket bolted to the engine will be worn oval, the result is a mismatched tension across the two belts as the alternator pulley is no longer parallel to the other pulley's.

Regards

Dave

I bought 2 belts from Toyota and fitted them and noticed the front one slightly loose c/w the rear one so reversed them and it made no difference. The conclusion was that the belts were the same length but the pullies were worn differently, the front getting more dirt than the rear. When tightened to some degree and run for some time they bedded in and were the same tension when readjusted.

Happy for you to have got it fixed without anything serious. Been there myself so I know how you must of felt. :thumbup:

Hi again, quick update. Just too knackered to reply last night when we finally got home! After an hour waiting on the hard shoulder Green flag piggy backed us to Euro Car Parts in Redhill, Surrey for the 'bargain' price of £110 where they had one belt in stock so sleeves up and then on with the journey.
We were traveling back through Belgium from the Grand Prix when the first belt and the a/c belt went, leaving us with just one belt which at the time looked in good condition obviously one belt taking the other one out. The last belt lasted for another 250 miles or so before it too let go. Ironically, with this trip being shorter than previous trips I didn't take the spare box that has a set of genuine belts!

Hi again, quick update. Just too knackered to reply last night when we finally got home! After an hour waiting on the hard shoulder Green flag piggy backed us to Euro Car Parts in Redhill, Surrey for the 'bargain' price of £110 where they had one belt in stock so sleeves up and then on with the journey.
We were traveling back through Belgium from the Grand Prix when the first belt and the a/c belt went, leaving us with just one belt which at the time looked in good condition obviously one belt taking the other one out. The last belt lasted for another 250 miles or so before it too let go. Ironically, with this trip being shorter than previous trips I didn't take the spare box that has a set of genuine belts!

Murphy's law rules!

I replace the three belts every other cambelt change.

i think i would of carried on driving turning off all electrics. Only enough power is needed to keep the fuel cut off solenoid energised.

It's the most important function of the belts CG, the alternator coming close second, IMO :lol:

Back