Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Camber Caster kits?

andrewtucker928

Country Flag
united_states
I’m having to replace my inner tie rods but the shop wants me to purchase the camber caster bolts before they work on it. Can anyone tell me what cross reference camber caster set I can order? Thank you in advance.

Hello Andrew - I don’t believe there is any link between replacing inner tie rods and the need to replace the camber bolts. New tie rod ends only affect the toe-in/ toe-out dimension, which is adjusted using the outer tie rods.

If you really do need to replace the camber bolts for some other issue, they are available from Roughtrax- see picture for Toyota part number. You’ll need 4 of them - 2 for each lower wishbone, but be sure you really need them. Fitting them can be a real pain.

Attachments

• B9102448-9C96-4E4E-8D51-62D79B44B140.png
    B9102448-9C96-4E4E-8D51-62D79B44B140.png
    176.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
The shop I went to is replacing the lower control arm bushings, rack and pinion bushings, and the inner tie rods. Once that’s all done they’ll have to do an alignment and he is assuming they will be seized up so he recommended replacing them. I found those part numbers but when I went to my local Toyota dealership they weren’t coming up in their system

Control arm bushes won't press out without a fight because they have a steel outer sleeve which welds itself with rust to the arm , so again new lower control arms might turn out to be cheaper in the long run because the bush is already in it .

Think my fight to replace them is on here somewhere i will see if i can find a link .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hi Shayne - thanks for the above link. I have to do suspension bushes front and rear soon, so some useful tips there. I will also paint the arms, knuckles etc. Are you satisfied with the Zinga and Omnicote? How has it held up over the last 5 years? Thanks

The Zinga works well on blasted steel and in truth to overcoat it with Omnicote was daft but i had lots and needed to make everything black .

Brush on Zinga goes on a lot thicker than the spray stuff so better galvanized protection . The Omnicote is actually a rust converter water based paint which is really too thin to prevent chips in Zinga .

With the benefit of hinsight i would top coat the Zinga with Eastwood chassis paint or similar for a hardwearing finish .

Because i don't intend to dismantle or sandblast anything on the next truck i do it will all be painted black with Aquasteel rust converter and then coated with Lanoguard for D.I.Y ease .

Products might change by the time i get around to it but the principal will remain the same .

I've seen a good trick on a youtube video for pressing out bushes from the suspension arms using a bottle jack in between teh two arms to push the bush outwards, it worked well when I helped a friend to rebush the front end of a hilux surf. will soon do it on my 90 too as bushes are a bit cooked. I bought the full poly bushes and new bolts kits from Milner. soaking the arm end with the bush in atf+acetone really helps. also a bit of heat and wak can help to break the rust bond

Shayne that’s an impressive bit of work…I’ve done my fair bit of rust chasing but that’s really impressive

Grumpy mot tester failed loads of brand new parts as old and worn because he was forced to work late on a Friday night not long after that and the truck hasn't been on the road since .

Now i think on it i suppose i should be a good citizen find out if he still works there and follow him home .

Last edited:
After all that work? That’s bonkers! It’s in way better and safer conditions then so many vehicles on the road…
all the work you’ve done on the underbody is really impressive.
Guess it wouldn’t need much to get through an mot now anyway.
Regarding rust I’ve scrubbed a fair bit from the axle and rust converted+ painted
Then I used Lanoguard on all the underbody and I’ve been really impressed with it easy to apply and good protection.

Actually i lie that , work was prompted by the mot fail .

Same garage a year before I ended up chatting to a different mot tester who was so impressed with the condition of my truck he wanted pointers and advice on where to get one . I think because i'd already changed every bush , replaced the steering rack , completely overhauled the brakes and slapped some Omnicote around the front end while i had the diff out for reasons i can't even remember .

It would have passed an mot the very next day untouched had i taken it to an honest garage but i chose to use it as an excuse to clean things up and once done it would have amused me to let them know they just passed all exactly the same parts they failed previously .

Truth is fate landed me with an 80 series which diverted my attention and I knew i had to modify and learn to love that which might have proved impossible while riding its little sister :lol:

3 trucks and only room for 2 really did throw a spanner into the works turning an enjoyable hobby into a chore , but alas they are all too good to let go and all owe me far more than they might sell for .

A bigger house is the only reasonable answer i tell her when she moans about it .

I can see 3 trucks needing similar attention would become a bit of a job to keep up. Sounds like a nice collection though. Love an 80, I used to have one for a few years, was just a bit big for what I needed and the petrol was brilliant but so thirsty. The petrol 90 series I have now is a little more manageable.
Wish I had the space (and time) to have a couple of projects on the go but alas barely have room and time for the one. Also need to balance working on it and actual use and enjoyment. I’ve spent quite a lot of evenings out on local lanes over the winter and would really like to get some nice trip this summer. The engine is running really nicely, suspension is fresh and bushes will hold until autumn for sure. Rust is managed well… may need to get some miles in now…

Back