Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Camper!

I think they make one out of a sprinter too. Only seen them on Andrew st Pierre white vids

Some of those problems that Shayne mentioned could be avoided by changing design - Look at the width of the 150 series Colorado/Prado compared to a 90 series and I think you'd be surprised. Also trailers have got bigger and bigger as well.

Here's an example - my 4Runner next to Wanda:
1535635_10152186701310856_409454677_n.jpg

Keeping it low and narrow does have benefits, there were several times where Wanda was getting pinstripes and we were in the clear because we were lower and narrower.

What I've also since learnt after getting my trailer is that independent suspension on a trailer is less stable than a stock live axle - trailing arm suspension will reduce tyre contact on a lean, whereas a live axle trailer will maintain that contact patch (quick short version)

I get what you mean with the live axle thing Ed and while i agree with it in principal as in one wheel goes up the other goes down but i believe its a rather redundant subject unless you have a 4 wheel trailer .

A two wheel trailer will roll even if you stole the suspension from the Queens limo because there is nothing to resist body roll . I think of trailer suspension as being nothing more than a shock absorber and that i think is why independent seems to be the choice for off road trailer companies .

Built by the American military (i believe) my missile trailer is seriously over engineered to suit the American military's budget , yet suspension consists of two big rubber pads/balls . The wheels cannot move independently at all , if one goes up then so does the other . I have my own theories about why they did this but they are not important , the point is if there was a better way to do it i think the Yanks would have used it on this trailer .

Has anyone ever seen a trailer hitch that does not swivel ?

Has anyone ever seen a trailer hitch that does not swivel ?
I think that some of the NATO hitches don't swivel, they depend on the trailer having a moveable coupling.

http://sportsmobile.com/mercedes-benz-4x4-sprinter/ There are quite a few conversions available, some use the standard MB 4x4 and some the tougher Iglhaut setup.

http://iglhaut-allrad.de/en/wohnmobileen.html

Aye, I've seen the Iglhaut conversions - nice but expensive. Ours is the standard MB set up, with a DIY camper conversion - works well enough for "bad roading" rather than full on off roading. Debating whether to get another couple of summers out of if or start to look at other options - maybe 4x4 Vario or similar, if we don't go down the camping trailer route.

The nice thing about the Sprinter is the comfort and speed (relatively!) and its reasonably cheap - mine owes me less than a new build camping trailer....

IMG_0393.JPG

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Is this what you're wanting Shayne?

15726223_1291431900917729_2986053424051336142_n.jpg

"20ft expandable container home with kitchen bathroom etc
$30,000 – Laidley, Queensland

This container expands out 3 times it size
it has a basic kitchen, bathroom and can have 1 large bedroom or 2 small bedrooms
it is NEW.... and is wired and has lights

This home is a kit and can be simply set up on a bush block

And being a relocatable you can dismantle it and take it to your new bush block

we can direct you to a finance broker who can assist you do terms (tap)
imagine owning your own home in 5 years .....
$130 to $150 per week for $30k

There is a 40ft version as well if wanted

also
we can assist you to have this set up as a 100% off grid home ...
imagine NO power bills..
a Basic off grid system ...batteries, solar panels, 1.5kw inverter 2kw solar panels ...Plus a off grid fridge freezer and a off grid solar hot water system

This is $10,500 and can be added too later if you wish ...

P.S
just letting everyone know we are a off grid factory buying group (polygreensolar) all are welcome "

Always fancied a Unicat should my ship come in but last year i spotted a 4x4 Toyota coaster running beach tours in NZ. Pretty unobtrusive round town and im sure its reasonably capable off the tarmac.
Best of all ... HD-FTE engine in some of them (I'm seriously becoming a Toyota fanatic)
coaster.jpg

Edit: This is a stock pic

I don't think you guys are getting me , this i think is nigh on perfect if you travel alone (jump to 9 minute 30)

But i reckon it would soon become claustrophobic for two people .

What i'm saying is if the passenger side folded down to floor height like an RTT you could add a fixed and comfortable seating area while at the same time removing the claustrophobic feeling without increasing the size of the vehicle . (a seating area does not need a raised roof)

I think I get ya Shane, I was joking. Agree re Troopy - good solo but imagine it would be hard work for 2...

Being a newbie I was looking through some older threads and found this one.

I've done a home build on a 4x4 Sprinter. It sleeps four and I can stand up in it if I'm below a skylight (I'm 6'3"). There is about 6' through the rest of the van. It reaches places other vans can't go but when it gets stuck, it is a bit of a bugger to extricate.

I like the mushroom coloured German built thing and you've just got to accept that it is a tin tent and most of your 'living' will be done outdoors. It does give you some security and keeps you off the ground whilst sleeping. If I was young, fit and single I'd like one of these - I'm not.

Unimogs and similar 7.5 tonne 4x4's tend to have relatively short wheelbases compared with a van and due to the ground clearance and chassis arrangement you have to go tall to get headroom. They can be driven on a car license (if you got your license some time ago) and payload tends to be less of an issue. MAN do / did a nice 7.5 tonne 4x4 that would make a good camper.

You then arrive in HGV territory and the likes of Action Mobil but it does come with a few restrictions.

I think the best 4x4 camper van would be a Merc Vario 4x4 but they don't make them any more and they rarely come up for sale.

2016_05_29_IMG_0051.JPG

Hi guyc - yeah, we're still using our 4x4 Sprinter. Longer term I fancy a Vario, but figure we'll get another year or two out of this one.

Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 4×4 is ok if dont take it to South America(SA) and drive above 2000m! Use diesel from countries like Bolivia! We met quite a few, mainly Germans who used these from a new standard 4x4 van to a brand new 150K euro camper conversion. All the vehicles had started off as new bought in Germany and shipped out to S.A. When things went wrong,one had a list as long as your arm. Mercedes-Benz refused to accept the warranties as “they weren't intended to be used in S.A.”, Dont drive above 2000m as the ECU fuel profile only works to 2000m!, was another excuse. Try following the coast!. The first time the 150K euro camper used his 4x4 option the gear box crashed. Mercedes-Benz refused the warranty due to it being in S.A. Lucky for the guy he started his career at Mercedes-Benz and after leaving has kept friends with a colleague who became a senior manager and was able to pull some strings to get it fixed – parts being flown out and a Mercedes-Benz trained engineer would fix it with in the warranty, dont think Joe Smith would get that.

Stephen

Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 4×4 is ok if dont take it to South America(SA) and drive above 2000m! Use diesel from countries like Bolivia! We met quite a few, mainly Germans who used these from a new standard 4x4 van to a brand new 150K euro camper conversion. All the vehicles had started off as new bought in Germany and shipped out to S.A. When things went wrong,one had a list as long as your arm. Mercedes-Benz refused to accept the warranties as “they weren't intended to be used in S.A.”, Dont drive above 2000m as the ECU fuel profile only works to 2000m!, was another excuse. Try following the coast!. The first time the 150K euro camper used his 4x4 option the gear box crashed. Mercedes-Benz refused the warranty due to it being in S.A. Lucky for the guy he started his career at Mercedes-Benz and after leaving has kept friends with a colleague who became a senior manager and was able to pull some strings to get it fixed – parts being flown out and a Mercedes-Benz trained engineer would fix it with in the warranty, dont think Joe Smith would get that.

Stephen
I had heard the same thing when I was there. Haven't heard much positive about them really...

DSC_0003_zpsipk4eut5.jpg

Our Super custom Hi-ace camper that we bought in NZ.
1kzte engine, permanent 4WD and some nice boots on it.
Solar panel on top with two big leisure batteries and a 1200w invertor.
It was the best, sold it for a surf which cracked a head on us within a few weeks :(

Hi I love that 80 at the start I would love one of them thanks for the pics .

New Gen Sprinters seem to have many more problems than the older ones like ours. Apart from normal servicing and an occasional fuel contamination blip, the only constant battle is tin worm. Can't comment on use in South America, unfortunately ;-)

Back