Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Can someone have a quick appraisal of this please.

Hi

Seem a good LC to me looks nice as well.

But can only go on what he has said and the pictures.

Mal

Mal Eade said:
Hi

Seem a good LC to me looks nice as well.

But can only go on what he has said and the pictures.

Mal
Cheers. Any idea of the value, judging by the photos and description?

To give you some idea of what they're fetching, I recently bought a '96 80 with LPG already fitted for £2450. It's not in quite as good condition as the one your looking at but there are no dents and mechanically seems to be fine so far, except for the bloody starter motor failing. :evil:

Cossack said:
To give you some idea of what they're fetching, I recently bought a '96 80 with LPG already fitted for £2450. It's not in quite as good condition as the one your looking at but there are no dents and mechanically seems to be fine so far, except for the bloody starter motor failing. :evil:

Thanks for that. I think this chap is after quite a bit more than that.

Darrell said:
Cossack said:

I think this chap doesn't really want to sell his LC then.
Maybe he is just "Testing the water"
At the end of the day it is a very expensive to run petrol Land Cruiser.
This will appeal to a very, very, small market.
If it were diesel, well, I need say no more.
But it aint, it's petrol, and has no LPG, so it's not going to do a whole lot of miles.
Whats an LPG kit to fit to one of these, £1200 ?
Is it worth it?
You have to do a fair miles to get the dosh back.

I would say, looking at the pictures, taking into account all he has said, and what he has NOT said, then I guess £2800 MAX.
Unfortunately, it is petrol, and no one can really afford to run petrol the way we would want to.
OK, some members have petrol only, but I am sure it is caning them in fuel consumption.

Gra.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
So petrols are so unattractive are they?

I think I will stick to diesel or LPG. Cheers.

:thumbup:
Graham said:
Darrell said:
Cossack said:

Whats an LPG kit to fit to one of these, £1200 ?
Is it worth it?
You have to do a fair miles to get the dosh back.
Gra.
Before I bought mine, with LPG, I got a quote to fit LPG in case I ended up with one without, £2000 :shock: so getting an 80 with for £2450 I thought was a bargain.

Hang on a minute. This is a very tidy looking 97. It doesn't have LPG but that doesn't mean it's worth £4.73

One with LPG might cost you more and may even give you trouble if it's not been done well. Petrol is cheaper than diesel and if you drive sensibly in one of these you can drive one for diesel money. Remember I posted the fuel costs per mile comparison chart. Buying one then spending 1200 on an lpg kit and a wheel carrier doesn't make any sense if you aren't doing major mileage.

I wouldn't be so quick to rule out a spirit burner like this one. Hell of a lot of car, lovely drive, nice condition, tolerable MPG if you drive sensibly. Diesel is NOT returning the figures that it used to do but petrol is. Bio fuel addition has killed diesel mpg. The only worthwhile 80 if you really want the best consumption is a manual 24v, std trim for driving long runs. A derv auto isn't going to give you much more the low 20s nowadays. (OK, exceptions guys I know - please don't post a list) If you can hit late teens on petrol then you can drive for the same cost in a nicer less abused vehicle.

Chas, to be fair I think you really did get a bargain there. Maybe not a fair comparison to this one.

Chris

Yes Chris I think I did get a bargain, he was asking originally for £4950 but after some judicious use of a baseball bat :whistle: I beat him down, actually the seller had a crane company and it was a company truck that had been standing for about 18 months and he just wanted to get rid of it so he didn't need a lot of persuading. :thumbup: I realise it wasn't a fair comparison but I just wanted to point out what some were fetching. Oh, and my quote for fitting LPG was £2000 and I got a rear bumper/wheel carrier for about £300 IIRC.

Darrell there's no point me saying what it's worth; it's what you want to pay to get it- but I know what you mean. What would I pay if that were exactly what I was after? It depends on how desperate I was. You simply can't do this with 80's really there are too many what ifs.
I appreciate that you are new on the forum and that you are keen to get one, but "I want one, how much and where" is just a little too impetuous. We'll help you the best that we can but the book on 80s is completely open. Nice diesel auto same as this one listed at £11.5k recently
You want one that doesn't need work or much maintenance. I would be expecting to pay thick end of £5k at least from a private sale 9k from a thieving dealer. These are trucks ranging from 20 years old to 14 years. You can't get a minter for cheap. And even a time warp example is going to need some looking at.

Just being realistic

Chris

Exactly what he is asking for it, Chris, so thanks. It is not exactly what I am looking for, so I shall leave it for someone else.

Thanks

That's sensible. It's a really difficult call on one of these wee beasties. The first trick is to decide what it is precisely what you want. Keeping an open mind if fantastic, but makes it really hard. "I'd like an 80 I don't' care what, please advise" would simply be unanswerable. Once you say, "I'd like an diesel auto" please advice, we can start to narrow the field of support for you. Generally these are a good vehicles, but there ARE some shockers out there. If it looks right, smells right and drives right - it really doesn't matter what it is - it will be more or less right.

The real curve ball from you is the maintenance thing. That does make it really quite tricky because what you need is more or less a minter. Now that's not easy to supply nor will it be cheap. They aren't usually the sort of thing that most people pick as a daily runabout.

Geordieboy is selling a beauty. It's slightly modified, but that means that it's had a good seeing to. We don't sell rubbish to ourselves! Rule number one.

Chris

Geordieboys car is a manual. The only two things that are definite is that it will have leather and be an auto.

Back