Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Car shopping help: After an economical soft roader...

Nowt wrong with Vitaras, or Suzukis generally.

Obviously lightweight when compared to a LC, but cheaper and simple to maintain.

And a reasonably competent 4wd in standard form.

My other suggestion would be a freelander, but their reliability issues just make them unworkable.

Pete

I'd steer clear of Gaylanders (as they seem to be known in LR circles)

Yeah don't worry, we're not about to loose all sense and convert to the green oval. We've looked at Grand Vitara's as a possibility, I used to have a vit and an SJ before that so know my way around them. They just seem a bit cheap when it comes to the interior and now we've experienced Toyota, well... it just feels like a bit of a downgrade.

Dyfan, I like the scooby idea and will keep my eye open for an LPG converted one for the right money. My old man used to have a Legacy GTB and the flat four throb was addictive.

Thanks for the heads up re the Sorento Chris, I was thinking it'd be nice if one came up cheap..

Pete, where is your mate with the X? If it's diesel and the mileage is right he might have a buyer.

After doing some pretty extensive research on the X-Trail it looks like that's going to be our most likely buy as there's plenty for the right money and they tick all the boxes. Turns out I need to be on the lookout for a 51-53 plate 2.2Di Sport as it gets the best of everything. Post 53/04 is the 136 model that is plagued with turbo and intercooler problems. And so long as the cam chain doesn't rattle excessively between 1500-2000rpm then the only other thing to look out for is rust on the rear arches.

Thanks again for all your input chaps.

Jim.

sj's are good but not the V****** i just think a sport track or the 1 with the 2.8d is a better family car.
stu

I have messaged him on fb, I know it was a 52 plate 2.2 and had done 150,000, it has plastic wings !!

I can't remember ££££, think he wanted £2k ish.

Will let you know.

Pete

Ironically the first vehicle i thought of when i read your criteria was the old Fiat Panda and the second a Lada Niva but both are way over 10 years old , funny how there's nothing (that i can think of) more modern that even vaguely compares ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sorry Jim, he sold it a few weeks back.

If you go for one, give it a timing belt change, looking at the non runners on eBay that looks to be the weak link.

Pete

They have a cam chain Pete, which 9/10 times rattles between 1500-2000rpm when it's close to snapping but in reality should last the life of the truck. £150-£200 to sort if you catch it early so not too bad really.

Shayne we've researched crv's but never even thought about the hrv. We're going shopping today but if we're unsuccessful I'll have a closer look at them...

Cheers

Isn't the HRV called 'The Joy Machine'?

2 door - in my experience (4 kids) you should look for 4 door.

Aye, they did a 5 door model but after a little research it turns out they don't have a centre difflock, so it's out. Went to M2 car sales in Manchester on Saturday as they had 3 x's a Rav and a crv in stock. They advertise over 300 cars in stock and I believe it. The place looked like a scrapyard and seemed to be run like one too. I saw a couple of the cars that'd caught my eye online but couldn't get close enough to give them a good look over. The windows on most of the cars were left open (in the rain) and most had flat tyres and moss growing on them. How they sell anything is beyond me, but I didn't stick around to find out. Somewhat downheartened we went straight home. The mr2's on eBay classifieds now so once that's gone I'll be able to look at private sales too :) onwards and upwards.

Hi Jim,

What MR2 do you guys have?

Gra

Difflock's and 40mpg :think: Can the mrs ride a dirt bike ?

How about one of these?

It's either a Mazda tribute or a Ford Maverick II, same car.

There's an 04 plate for £2k locally, looks ok, not sure about difflick though?

enabada9.jpg

Jonny, I can't even begin to imagine what happened!

Back