Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Car shopping help: After an economical soft roader...

No worries, first chap to see it only went and bought it :dance:So on the lookout now for an X-Trail.
Done a little research and found out about a "Sport-X" model which has a few toys, two for sale on eBay at the mo but pretty far away :think:

This one looks promising, anyone in Devon local enough to be able to take a peek in passing? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380817110973 Not sure whether it's a trick of the light but it looks as though the N/S doors are dented in the photos, have pinged the seller a question so see what he comes back with.

Well it must be good if you have to come by my place to pick it up.

How about a Jeep Cherokee, saw a nice 52 plate today, was really good vale, about £950.

Service costs and mileage are both against unfortunately Pete, as is general reliability. Shame really, as I like the look of them and they hold their own off road. Hopefully going to see a couple of X's in Blackburn tomorrow.., so long as the one I'm most interested in gets back to me with a viewing time!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Might just be idle gossip but my neighbour just sold an x-trail as the consumption wasn't great and it had noise coming from the rear wheel bearings. Apparently they can be very expensive to replace. High hundreds as they're difficult to access or something.

I went on to Autotrader and searched all 4x4's between £1500 and £2500 nationally.

Its a very small choice - Freelander, Terrano, X-trail, some Discos, and some oddments of other models.

The other think I noticed was that they are almost all dealer sales, so they are adding several hundred to the price in profit, yet in my experience the dealer responsibilities for warranty tend to disappear as you leave the office......

When you look at what the same money will buy you in saloon cars, it seems that 4x4s at that price appear poor value.

Add in the extra economy, and I think I would be looking for an econo-box which the missus is happier driving, rather than a 4x4 that is sort of forced by budget choice rather than actual choice.

Unless you've bought an X-trail already, in which case that is exactly what I would do.....:icon-cool:

Very slick Pete, but no I haven't got one... yet. Thing is I sold the Landcruiser nearly 5 months ago, having not been off road in it since my stag do a year ago next week. That's a long time. I need a 4x4, and at this time of year they're at a premium. Reason they're all trade sales is the private owners are keeping hold of them 'til there's definitely no longer any risk of snow. I'm looking at stretching my budget a bit, maybe to the £2.8-3k mark, as there's alot more about at those prices and with FSH too, which always matters to me.

Almost 90 Series money, which you'd love, and soooooo easy to drive....... :whistle:

Thanks Mike... Yeah picked up a 51 x-trail se+ in dark blue last Thursday. Private sale and got it for a really good price so pretty pleased :) Mike did take a couple of pics yesterday, surprised he's not posted them here. Looking forward to finding out how well it fairs in the rough :)

Back