Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

CDL Diagram HDJ81

shiyazer

Country Flag
india
Hi Guys,

I am new to this Forum, brought a HDJ81 1996 Model few months ago. Now my 4WD is not working as the actuator is not engaging ( I have free wheel hubs). We have very less number of such model in India so the lack of experienced mechanics. I have tried even with Toyota service center, with no luck. to make things worst, I am getting vague reports first they said its Actuator then the Relay finally the wiring. Its has got "H4" Button on the dash to engage (Not written as CDL, doest know why).

It will be very helpful if someone can help me by providing a complete Diagram for the specific model.

Thanks a ton in advance,
Shiyazer

The 80 came in many variants and if you have front hub locks your vehicle is part time 4 wheel drive.
There is no centre diff hence no CDL on your model.
Typically to engage 4 Wheel drive you must use the second gear change lever (small one) and engage Low range 4 wheel drive. This will engage 4 wheel drive then you lock the hubs and you have the equivalent of centre diff lock configuration on a permanent 4 wheel drive model.
All of the South African 80 series where part time 4 wheel drive but I have seen many configuration variants from other African countries, for example my 80 in SA was an EFI model which was an Australian import. That was permanent 4 wheel drive and had the fuel injected 4.5L petrol motor, along with other extras compared to SA models.

Thanks Ken,

In fact the model has "H4" switch on the dash with actuator. its 1HD-T 4.2L Diesel (HDJ81).

I have tried engaging the low gear from H to L, but no affect even the front hubs are locked.

BR,
Shiyazer

Strange configuration. I hope somebody else can help out.
The models I am familiar with had the option of 2 W High; 2 W low and 4 W low selected on the transfer box gear change.
Is it an automatic or manual gearbox, although even on an automatic (as my 100 VX series) you still have the transfer box gear stick to select H or L range and a CDL switch on the dash.

Hi Ken,

Its Manual gear, and with small gear for H N L. if my "H4" switch on the dash is not working then there is no 4WD...my bad. The actuator is on Transfer case to engage front shaft. hope you got my point.

BR,

Can you post a pic of the car and then your dashboard where the 4wd controls are?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi there and welcome,

That is the same system I have one of my trucks, but it it a 60 series not an 80 series.

Pressing the electronic H4 button should engage immediately. My guess is it either the relay or actuator. I doubt it has much to d with wiring.

Hello Mates,

Here is the picture of suspected Motor, Relay and the Dashboard switch (H4) i was referring to. I dont have a closeup for the dashboard right now. but could get once back from work.

The issue is, lack of experts of old LCs in India. some of them ruined few times. so i dont wanna take a chance now..:)

I can see 10 Pin connector on the Relay, But only a 2 pin connector is connected to the motor. other wires are just wrapped (not used). I saw this when we removed the motor.

Any thoughts? Please help with the complete connections.

Thanks,
Shiyazer IMG_20140602_111448.jpgIMG_20140722_155609.jpgIMG_20140728_135955.jpgIMG_20140728_140010.jpg

Hi
This is the same system and problem i had on a Toyota Hilux Surf. For me it turned out that the magnets had come off inside the actuator. Tried glueing them with epoxy resin but kept coming off. New Actuator from Toyota was 575 GBP !! Fixed the problem though.
If wiring is complicated and you have bench tested the actuator and it works, then maybe run a separate power feed to the actuator and have your own switch :) Good luck!

Last edited:
Hi K-Cruiser,

Thanks for the comments. Yes, running a direct wire could resolve the issue. My worry is what that relay actually do? bypassing the relay makes any complications?
Also, the motor should rotate clockwise and Anti clockwise right?

BR,

You need to be careful of direct wiring to the motor if it is anything like the locker motors. They require 7 wires, 5 to the actuator and 2 to the engaged indicator switch. There are limit switches to ensure the motor is cut off when the actuator is fully engaged. If you don't have them the motor will run and burn out, Also when the limit switch engages it reverses the polarity ready for the next operation.
I have the wiring diagram for the CDL if you send me an email [email protected].
But yours is not a locker per see rather it engages the front prop shaft.

Yes Mr.Ken. My bad, not a locker. Thanks, will send you an email right now.

Back