Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Changing spheres DIY with pictures.

Pleiades

I get a lot of people asking me if when I supply them with a set of spheres, I can also supply a fitting guide.

The job is easy, if you can do your own general maintenance then you will not have any trouble with spheres.

Here goes for the way I do the job.

First of all, drive onto a ramp if you are using one, or the job can be done on the ground.

Select low on the AHC switch, then turn OFF the AHC button, the dash will light up AHC OFF
009.jpg

Next it is a good idea to clean aroung the sphere and blow the crud off with an air line, dirt is death to hydraulics so please be clean.
011.jpg

Now using a piece of tube, a jam jar and a 10mm spanner on the bleed screw, slacken the screw to release any residue of pressure.
012.jpg

Tighten the bleed screw back up and using either a spanner on the flats or as I prefer a chain wrench, you need to slacken the sphere, only a tiny bit will see it off.
013.jpg

Undo the sphere all the way and be prepared for some oil spill as the old sphere comes off.
014.jpg

Get the new sphere and check that the "O" ring is in place, then apply a little grease to the seal area, this will help it slide into position.
015.jpg

Fit the new sphere in where the old one came off and tighten it as tight as possible by hand only, there is no need for any tools to tighten spheres.
016.jpg

Next do the same another 3 times for the other spheres, then start the engine and turn the AHC back ON, go through the heights a few times and then check the fluid level, any air will be pushed back to thr reservoir during the up and down of the heights.
I find it easier to see the fluid level if you hold a torch over the reservoir.
020.jpg

Finally, go round to each sphere whilst the truck is on high setting and check for leaks, then you can give each sphere a good spray with duck oil or similar, just to keep the rot off for that little bit longer.
017.jpg

Now its time for tea and biccies, a quick clean up and go for a drive with a smile on your face.

It realy is quite an easy job, but easier for me as I do it all on a ramp so I can stand up rather than have to lie on the ground.

Thats all apart from to state the obvious blahs like dont go under a car unless you have it securely propped and are wearing a full faced crash helmet, safety boots and the all important high vis jacket otherwise you will die!!!

Regards
Martin.

Back