Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Climate control has gone mad

Rob

Garage
Got in my LC the other day and it seems the climate control has gone mad, no other way to describe it. Its completely disobedient even when auto is off. It will randomly blow hot air when set to cold even when auto is off, randomly change the fan speed when on auto and randomly change which vents the air comes out of. How do I make it obey me again?

try blowing some air or contact cleaner through the gaps between the switches? Sounds like bad / false contacts making it think it needs to do stuff?

Is there a sensor in the dash that picks up temp etc behind a little grill-like cutout? May be partially blocked. And is there a light / heat sensor on the dash that's covered up??

Cheers

Don't recall there being a sensor on the top of the dash, might be one on the climate control panel :think:

On my Surf and also on my 100 series there is a sensor down by the left knee, about 4 little slots in the plastic.

Sorry to hear that Rob, but that did make me laugh! What Jon said sounds like a good start - ill bet you have plenty dust from your trip back there still. I know I do! Good luck

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Looks like I will start with locating the sensor and seeing it that is blocked up with Mongolian dust, and then move onto the buttons with contact cleaner. Will let you know how it goes later, can't be arsed to go out in this weather.

As your looking at the control pannel look at the bottom left corner. Ive never paid to much attention to it but has a few slots there and could well be a sensor behind it.

:think:

There should be a tube behind that little grill that goes to a small electric motor that sucks air past the sensor. The manual tells you the value from the sensor depending on temperature.

Well have not done anything to it but it has been behaving last week. Will keep an eye on it though

there's a pipe behind a sensor behind the little grill in the bottom left hand corner ...

15-06-2012162604.jpg

sensor could be covered in crap

When I had my dash off fitting the DL switch the pipe came off and it was full of dust and fluff. If it's blocked it's bound to cause problems IMO.

All fixed now, have driven it for about 300 miles in various weather and it has been very obedient. Will post a how to thread soon.

Back