Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ct26turbo

alliston

Hey guys iv noticed my turbo on my 1990 1HD T is leaking oil into the intake. I was wondering what options I have. Do I buy a rebuild kit. Buy a new cartridge, buy a second-hand turbo. Or our there other turbos I could use.
Thanks rob

From hearing about issues quite a few have had with the cheap turbos I wouldn't buy one Rob. Not for the 80 series anyway. The exporters used to buy second hand turbos. When the cheap ones came forsale they started buying them. Didnt take long before they went back to buying second hand genuine ones.

Cheapest best way I'd say would be get yours rebuilt. Around £250 I think.

Should they leak no oil in reality then Karl?

Are you sure the oil isnt from the rocker cover breather?

Is the exhaust smokier?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I will get pictures when I finish work the pipe that goes from turbo to the intake is full of oil and the car is bit smokey so am guessing that oil is getting burned in the engine

You nearly always get residue build up rich. That's what I seem to always see anyway.

That's what I see Karl, also from the breather. Sounds like All has a bigger problem if the pipe is as 'full' as he says.

there is allways a degree of oil in the inlet side due to the breather, it depends how much oil there is in there. the bearing is lubricated with engine oil and has a oil seal either side so the oil can leak into the exhaust side or inlet side. inlet side will be blue smoke, exhaust side will be blue if the exhaust is hot enough to burn it or a white ish if its vaporising. if the bearing is worn the turbo will whine.

DSC_0005.JPGDSC_0004.JPG
That the pipe coming out of turbo into the intake manifold

Looks pretty normal to me. Mine went a bit like that, though it looks like yours is more loose than mine was.

I took the hose off and the intake pipe, gave them a good clean up and refitted with a smear of RTV silicone between hose and pipe. Might be worth getting some of the original spring clamps rather than jubilee clips as on that size they probably hold better, or at least some new plated clips. A new silicone hose from eBay or elsewhere might help. As for how much oil it's using, it's difficult to tell from that.

I'm tempted to say there's nothing to worry about. See what others think.

Dittowhat rich says.

worth just cleaning first. Could be 20 years of build up. Unless you have painted the pipe red recently

It doesnt look like the right pipe and has different pipe clips too.
1453202327456.jpg
This is mine... quite different really.
Has the red tape been added to bulk up a loose fitting pipe? Is the hose made of the incorrect material? And allowing oil to pass through it? Or the original hose needs changing?

To me looks like the same pipe viewed from above and also available in red

It is the same pipe. But with that amount of oil suggests that there is a leak on the seal of it. Or the pipe is at the end of its life.

Oil build up is normal in fact, I get a lot of TD's in with intercoolers soaked in oil. The first time they are booted down the road (my standard 'pre MOT' procedure) the blue smoke can be seen for a mile behind as the excess gets picked up and then clears. I would go for a good clean up and perhaps replace the hose? If you can get your finger tip on the end of the turbo shaft, see if there is any side to side movement, there should be none. if there is a little no panic but as the bearings wear the turbo impeller will hit the bore and disintegrate. No marks on the bore and little play your good to go.

regards

Dave

When you wiggle the end of the impeller shaft with your finger there will be more play than you think. When the engine is running the oil that lubricates the bearing will take up some of the play.

When you wiggle the end of the impeller shaft with your finger there will be more play than you think. When the engine is running the oil that lubricates the bearing will take up some of the play.

And it will expand when it heats up to take up some more…

Get your self a dial gauge, measure the 'side to side' play. Max would be around 3 -4 thou total play across the shaft, if you can measure that amount whilst wiggling with your bare fingers perfect. :clap:

regards

Dave

Back