Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Day out to Zarnesti, Romania 20.10.2013

clivehorridge

Guru
Garage
Country Flag
romania
After my rather negative but eventful Saturday of misadventure, I don't know whether a sunny Autumn Sunday-out, all of 60 km round trip, warrants a trip report. Anyway, for anyone interested, here's a link to some photos here. Hope you enjoy as much as we did!

The photos start rather boringly on the Raznov road from Predeal, but bear with them, if you like scenery, they get better! (honest!) :lol:

http://s1006.photobucket.com/user/clivehorridge/slideshow/Day out to Zarnesti

Last edited:
Yes I enjoyed the scenery. It looks so unspoilt.

Paul c

Thanks for posting Paul, that's one of the benefits of being here:icon-biggrin:

However, it's ok to complain that the UK is too restrictive because of this and that, but ultimately those restrictions have ensured that our countryside is somewhat protected and our cute and quaint villages aren't spoiled by office developments and uncontrolled housing developments.

In my 12 years here, I've seen places of natural beauty which have been totally destroyed by indiscriminate development. The local authority is not a committee, it comprises of the "democratically elected" Mayor, who has the ultimate decision of what is built, and where. Aspects as to its suitability are purely his decision and so it's open to wholesale abuse. Money talks and so if you want something bad enough, his decision can be bought. :icon-sad:

Pristine places are therefore disappearing, sadly.

That's what Cheltenham and the surrounding areas were like in the early 50's when I grew up. Nobody around and at 5 years old I used to go off round town exploring, even peoples gardens!

When do they open?

Frank

Looks lovely Clive!

I noticed a lot of what you said about ''controlled'' development when I was there! Very like Ireland that way, brown envelopes and all. Not so much of that in Rasnov though, I take it there is a large Roma population there, just from what I saw in it. And quite a cool castle/fortress too!

Looks like its starting to get cold in your part of the world!!

That's what Cheltenham and the surrounding areas were like in the early 50's when I grew up. Nobody around and at 5 years old I used to go off round town exploring, even peoples gardens!

When do they open?

Frank

Hi Frank,

Not sure if I'm remembering the area well enough, but as a teenager we used to cycle from Sheldon in Birmingham down to Broadway and the surrounding areas camping.

Last year I took my (Romanian) wife to visit some of these places and they didn't seem to have changed much since the late '60s.

Not sure what you mean with your question "when do they open?" :think:

Cheers :icon-biggrin:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Looks lovely Clive!

I noticed a lot of what you said about ''controlled'' development when I was there! Very like Ireland that way, brown envelopes and all. Not so much of that in Rasnov though, I take it there is a large Roma population there, just from what I saw in it. And quite a cool castle/fortress too!

Looks like its starting to get cold in your part of the world!!

Ha ha! Nobody really wants to live in Rasnov, although it's in a lovely location. 99% Roma and all that goes with it! At least they have some asphalt on some of their streets now!

The castle is Rasnov castle, high up on a 160m hill, but still in the shade of the mountains. Amazingly the occupants dug a well during a siege, meaning they had to dig through solid rock vertically downwards in excess of 160m (or thereabouts) to reach water! It's quite a place, well preserved and a popular tourist attraction.

Yep, it's cooling down nicely! Saying that, it was 22 C in Bucharest yesterday, so it's fluctuating quite a lot!

it seems to cool top-down, so there's frost and sporadic snow on the mountains already and soon that will extend downwards to us. Our house is at about 750m so we get it a bit later. Snow is forecast in November, but how far down (in altitude) it extends is anyone's guess!

Cheers! :icon-biggrin:

Last edited:
"When do they open?" as in I can't wait to get there.

I know Broadway well. It's mostly a conservation area with ultra strict planning regulations so no change there apart from traffic.

Frank

"When do they open?" as in I can't wait to get there.

I know Broadway well. It's mostly a conservation area with ultra strict planning regulations so no change there apart from traffic.

Frank

Sorry Frank, clearly I've been away too long! :doh::oops:

Back