Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

difference between a 80GX and an 80 VX in 24v late model

yogi

Garage
Country Flag
ireland
What are the major differences, I follow that a GS is a more basic entry model, but what differences are there between a GX and a VX? Not having any luck with search because VX and GX are too short!!

Can't help,

but try vee ex or gee ex:icon-biggrin:

Gra

Leather, climate control and wood effect finish. Andy's a guru on this stuff - not sure if sunroof is different somehow too.

The GS had steel wheels, no side steps. no ABS no AC

There are less speakers on the gx than on the vx as well. My gx does not have a sunroof however does have climate control. Not sure if it was an option or not.

According to the '97 Landcruiser brochure.

The VX has the following over the GX spec...

Tilt & slide sunroof (option on GX)
Leather seat trim with powered fronts (cloth and manual adjust on GX)
Wood (effect) facia
Chrome roof rails
Both have aircon as standard. Don't wish to appear picky but the air con on the 80 series is not climate control, there's a difference.
VX has 5 speakers, optional on GX.

Last edited:
Generally GS was 95/96 and GX 97/98. GS was a fairly stripped out model with steel wheels no air con ( but it could be fitted at the dealer) cloth seats, no rear seats, no side steps, no VC in the transfer box no sliding rear windows, speakers only in the front no electric Ariel. There may also be more differences, I'm sure someone will say. The big difference was the price, they were £10K less than a VX.
They didn't sell very well so in 97 the GX was released when they were badged "Amazon" which was nearer the VX spec ie. they were a VX without leather, wood and roof bars. If there are any other differences I'm sure someone will add to this thread but I think thats the general gist of it.

Andy

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There, someone added to it before I posted, with even more detailed info, Cheers Phil, I learned something as well.

Andy

Are these model letters international?

My 80 is a European spec, left hooker GX non-turbo 4.2 diesel 1HZ manual. It's a 1995 with cloth seats, no wood trim all plastic interior, manual but reclining front seats (nowt electric about the seats!) sliding back side windows, 7 seats, air con, leccy windows, electric tilt-slide sunroof (that doesn't leak!), leccy aerial, side steps and it had those chrome GFN roof bar thingies that I was very happy to remove.

Last edited:
Hmm... going to add some more, maybe confusing, info:
I have a 92 VX
- 4.2 turbo diesel
- sunroof (tilt + slide)
- cloth seats, but heated (doesn't work, but I have the buttons :))
- no wood trim, all black plastic
- AC, with low, medium 1, medium 2, high push buttons
- 3 lockers
- sliding windows in the back
- 4 speakers: 2 in the dash and 2 in the rear doors
- no roof bars

I think the VX series has also changed during the years. Does anyone has a early 90-91-92 VX with leather seats? Maybe leather was also an option in the early years?

That sounds pretty much normal spec for a 92VX. Don't think leather was an option till 93.

Andy

Not trying to hijack the thread but anyone know what this means on the side of my 94 Vx
Various265-1_zpsea48bfee.jpg

Not 100% but iirc the "active vacations" some came with factory fitted camping stuff in the back - sleeping platform, sink, stove etc. could of course be wrong!!

My 92 VX is the same spec as yours Geert, just without the aircon.

It's an import but got nothing of the stuff mentioned above, she's also got to go.

Back