Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Does anyone know the stock spring rates for the 80 & 90/95 series

sae70

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
uk
As it says in the title really. Its easy enough to find the spring rates for OME springs and King springs come to that, but you try finding out what the spring rates are for standard factory springs or Ironman springs for that matter. I've spent more time than I'd like to have done really over the last couple of days searching the net, but to no avail! What I need is one of those enthusiast types that wears an anorak or a snorkel parker with just the right bit of info tucked away in an old note book or tech manual in the back of their man cave :icon-biggrin:

WHY?

Last edited:
you could try interpolating it from the OME data table, probably wouldn't be too far off, or just take a set of springs to a spring makers and have them measured, they'll probably do it for free if you're having them make some to your spec.

IIRC the stock springs i removed from my 80 had 18.5mm wire including coating and some dirt:
comparison with OME below

Code 2863 – 200kg – wire = 18mm (Excl coating)

Code 2864 – 400kg – wire = 19mm (Excl coating)

Code 2868 – 600kg – wire = 20mm (Excl coating)

you could try interpolating it from the OME data table, probably wouldn't be too far off, or just take a set of springs to a spring makers and have them measured, they'll probably do it for free if you're having them make some to your spec.
Yea maybe I'll have a go at working the info backwards. It only works for the rear springs as they are normally +150, 200, 300Kg (I Guess this is per pair), but the front shocks are +0 to 50Kg or +50 to 110Kg etc. Not going to have any springs made just trying to make a good decision about up rating my current rear spring set up. As all will know I have the Ironman +40mm kit fitted that gave me +50mm once fitted with an empty truck. When loaded with a full tank of fuel she drops more than the 50mm gained from the lift. Last weekend I took everything out of her, now bearing in mind she has no camping gear, food for a weekends trip, two small boys and an empty fuel tank (fuel warning light on) she came up 44mm!!!!

The items that I removed amount to about 150Kg;

Shelving unit, tools, spares and some recovery kit 90Kg (this weight lives in the truck & is never removed).

Off-Road kit coffin box, Hi-Lift, waffles, recover chain, blocks of wood, spade, large axle stand and a few misc other bits 60Kg.

Just these two lots of kit drop the truck nearly all of the gained lift!!

But then add to this;

A full tank of fuel 90ltrs approx 90Kg

Camping gear including tent, sleeping and cooking gear 20Kg

Food & water for 2/3 days camping 15Kg

Two small boys with car seats one 20Kg the other 28Kg

Clothes, boots, DS's, iPods, iPads, iPhones, Chargers bla bla bla perhaps 10Kg

Sorry started to get a bit carried away there :icon-biggrin: :icon-biggrin: :icon-biggrin:

I guess what I'm looking for is to maintain a bit of lift while loaded for a weekend away, so whats that lot total up to then :think:

333Kg

Mmmmm..............not a massive amount compared to others I shouldn't think and I'm not complaining about sagging as Chris was. While doing all of this I've discovered that over two years and some pretty heavy abuse my Ironman springs have only settled by 5mm ish. They're just not giving me the support that I want from my springs, apart from this I'm over the moon with the flex and ride that they give. Maybe spacers are the answer :think:

The reason I'm after the standard spring rates for 80 and 90/95 springs is that I just want to compare the 80 series standard front springs rate to the 90/95 series standard rear springs rate and then compare these figures to the Ironman TOY039B springs that I currently have fitted, but you can't find out this info for any of the mentioned springs.

I'm on the cusp of buying a pair of 80 series springs as Chris has, but also wonder if I should be buying a set of new ones or well used second hand ones.

I'm not sure that anyone can help me with what the correct thing to do with regards to spring type to fit or spacers or air bags, but the spring specification information would be great :icon-biggrin:

edit - Oh, I forgot about the rock sliders! Probably another 40Kg, I'm not sure that the front winch install effects the rear suspension a huge amount!

Last edited:
Cheers for the links Shayne:icon-biggrin: I have had a pretty good look through PradoPoint and have not stumbled over anything as yet! I'm not so certain that the 120 would have the same spring rate as a 90/95 series, I am aware that the spring rate of the front springs is different between even the 3.0TD and the D4D 90/95 series as the D4D is said to be 90Kg heavier up the front end than the 3.0TD, but still don't know what those figures are :icon-biggrin:

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
IIRC the stock springs i removed from my 80 had 18.5mm wire including coating and some dirt:
comparison with OME below

Code 2863 – 200kg – wire = 18mm (Excl coating)

Code 2864 – 400kg – wire = 19mm (Excl coating)

Code 2868 – 600kg – wire = 20mm (Excl coating)
Yes, all good info available from OME :icon-biggrin: I even have all the free lengths and diameters for all of the springs that I'm after, from OME :icon-biggrin: I can even get the free length and wire diameters of the Ironman springs, but the spring rates. Ironman just say +20%, +30% etc. Only any good if you know the spring rates of the stock springs :icon-biggrin:

Why not just ask Toyota , tell em you need to know before you decide to buy either a geniune springs or aftermarket , with the chance of selling something they might actually make an effort to find out for you .

Back