Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

ECU mis regulating fuel onto one cylinder

donaldon22

Country Flag
united_states
Hello

i took my 1993 in to see if my local shop could diagnose why my landcruiser was not running properly. They believe it is the ecu and recommended intake it to the dealer because they weren't 100% sure. Has anyone had a similar issue and is their a good place to purchase refurbed ecu's my local dealer said they couldn't find one.

any help would be very much appreciated

thanks

don

My gut says it's much more likely to be an injector, perhaps with some muck under the seat.

Have the injectors been swapped over with other cylinder's injectors to see if the fault goes with it?

Richard

Last edited:
If it does come down to the ECU, there are companies that can test ECUs, not all can be tested mind. The ECU Doctor is one. No test no fee I believe.

Thanks Richard they were pretty thorough and inspected the injectors. They had put a meter on the board and noticed that one of the components did not seem to be regulating the current, maybe a resistor on the board is bad (possibly causing the injector to flood one of the cylinders?). I can see 6 green square discrete components on the board, but am not sure what these are. I noticed star cruisers note below and I would like to get it tested. I found an Ecu for $350 from usedenginecomputers.com and am going to give it a try, it looks like they get a decent rating.

Thanks I just looked up ecu doctor and they only do EU cars. I'm going to google other ecu repair sites thanks for the great tip.

Whoops thanks Richard, just noticed you posted both responses thanks very much for the help!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Oops, didn't see you were from the other side of the pond, in which case you most probably have someone who can test it for you and repair.

TBH $350 doesn't sound too bad and it does sound like they have done a pretty good job with the diagnosis and if they have found a component down, then that sounds like acoustical fault with the ECU.

I'm not sure whether or not the ECUs are coded to the rest of the car or not. I wouldn't think so given the age but it might be worth asking the question.

Richard (StarCruiser [emoji4])

Last edited:
The garage should slip a pin under each injector and measure the pulse, preferably on an oscilloscope, the only real way to get it spot on as yours is pre OBD II.

regards

Dave

Back