Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Electric T in

warrenpfo

When do I need to use a relay to run led park lights and indicator light or is it only by trial and error and if your led lights are not working or flashing fast you then need to use one.

If no relay is needed what is the best way to T off my current headlight wiring to run the indicator and park lights in the ARB bumper. I had thought I would need to use some type of water proof connector but was told that it would be over kill and that 12v can handle the odd water crossing no problem.

My thinking was either spade type connectors like these or the bullet type

mods_thermostat_07_blade_connector.jpg982aa3501.jpg

with some tape over them but am not sure if its better to cut away some of the insulation on the current wire and then solder in the T and tape that up.

Last edited:
Personally I'm not a fan of those tyres of connector on 4x4's, I've always found they get full of crap and corrode and then cause problems.

Soldering is a better option, but I wouldnt just use tape id use heat shrink and then tape.

But ideally couldnt you do with some connectors some where for if/when you need to remove the bumper. :think:

I quite like the waterproof connectors on the link below. might have to order some for the indicator lights on my bumper. :icon-wink:

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/connectors/multiconnectors.php

Ben the bit I solder on to the OEM loom has a connector in it at the end that then connects to the bumpers loom.

I find the problem with heat shrink and solder is that the heat transfer goes for miles up the wire and I end up with the heat shrink stuck up the wire as I did not move it far enough along from the point of solder. There is not much room to play with hence the connectors but will take another look.

Thats good that its got the connectors on already. :clap:

I've not had that problem with heat shrink. What size soldering iron are you using?

Mine is only a little 30 watt one, so maybe it doesnt put as much heat into the wire. :think:

60w

I'm not sure if im doing it right but I hold the soldering iron under the joint and push the solder into the joint from the top...

Yeah thats how I do it.

I've been dipping the solder in flux and then holding that on the joint, putting the soldering iron underneath, and then the flux starts sizzling and the solder melts and pulls through the joint.

Like I say though I've not had any issues with the heat shrink shrinking prematurely. :think:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
A good alternative to heat-shrink is vulcanizing tape. Often faster as well, and you can reinforce the cable and step up and down different thicknesses easily.

Othewise, waterproof connectors is absolutely the way to go. Like Mr T does.

Warren, a 60w iron on headlight wires is a tad overkill - probably get away with a decent 20watt iron from Maplins for that sort of work, or get fancy and get a soldering station :lol:

+1 on the soldering iron being overkill. Either get an adjustable one or a lower wattage one. I have an excellent wellar gas soldering iron that you refill using cigarette lighter gas and is adjustable (plus you have no trailing extension lead). Don't forget to 'tin' the bare wire first - this makes it a lot easier when you want to join them. You shouldn't need flux as a lot of solder nowadays has it in the solder already - should say on the solder reel. Solder and heat shrink is always going to be best but if you have to use the crimp connectors then afterwards pack the ends with vaseline to waterproof them and keep dirt out. You can also heatshrink over the crimp connectors.
Back to your original post you asked about using a relay - not sure why you would need a relay to use LED's. They use less power and so a relay shouldn't be needed. It is possible that you need a resister if the indicators do not flash correctly but try them first as this depends on what you are fitting.

Oh and whatever you do don't use electrical tape - it is awful stuff and will eventually come unwrapped or leave horrible sticky crap all over the wires if you ever need to take it off. :cry:

Regards
Mark

Last edited:
Cheers guys I will look at getting an adjustable iron and go from there.

Back