Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Engine crane

Derek J

I'm finally getting around to the rebuild of my cruiser.
One small problem is I have already killed one crane lifting what was essentially just an engine block out
So my question is what do you guys use when you're taking engines in or out.

I've seen a lot of them rated at 1000 kg + but you don't get any reach with them.
Would appreciate any advice you can give. Derek

Bonnet off and a gantry with block and tackle.

Chain hoist.
Something like this:
334050-jpg.jpg
image_11269.jpg

Easy to use, and easy to control. Stays put when you let go.
A one tonner is a good size.
Aound 50 £

I had thought of an overhead set up but it doesn't give me the mobility I need.

Two chain hoists do.

I bought a 2 ton engine crane off ebay earlier this year, and it seems quite stable being wheeled about with a 2UZ block hanging off the end position.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The things you do for fun - I presume there's a reason for wheeling a block around, this isn't a 'keep fit' regimen, is it?? Just enlarging the Tardis were you?? :lol:

makes it a bit easier getting the spare block and other heavy things out the trailer and into storage ;)

I forgot to say the reach on the 500kg position is pretty good and should be more than enough for reaching into an engine bay.

Thanks for the info gents. I have nobody that thinks working in a cold shed in the middle of December is fun, so I have to move axles and engines about myself.

I have always fancied a skid steer like Ben has but it seems a bit overkill.

I am going to see the inventory of a garage that's closing down tomorrow night so I am hoping he has something.

Back