Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

engine mods/tune ups

jimi

Country Flag
scotland
hi all i've just joined, it's good to see so much interest. I've just bought an lj70 2.4td. The engine seems fine but the turbo light(green) comes on at very low revs, then the red one comes on not much longer after that. It feels like the turbo is doing nothing. Is there a way to check/adjust it? hi again jimi

Search 2.4 turbo washer mod and you'll find plenty...

The 2.4 is a workhorse engine and does pull, it's just slow! If you want more power consider a 1kzt swap, you wont look back

If the red turbo light comes on then it's likely the turbo won't be doing anything. Unfortunately, while I know how a turbo works I've never had any experience of what can go wrong with them so I can't help any further than that. Hopefully someone else will come along soon who can help. As for mods, a straight-through exhaust is always a good start if you're happy to shell out a couple of hundred, and blanking off the EGR valve helps too.

Sounds to me like your wastegate actuator is knackered . A few of us have been discussing adding a "manual boost controller" to prevent wastegate leakage and get the most out of our turbo .

I had the same issue on my 78, red indicates the wastegate actuator is knacked, so pressures not right.

If you go onto fleabay and look for maxspeedingrods they sell a new copy CT20 for little money, you need a gasket set to go with it, but you should see an immediate difference.

Cheers

Pete

I had the same issue on my 78, red indicates the wastegate actuator is knacked, so pressures not right.

If you go onto fleabay and look for maxspeedingrods they sell a new copy CT20 for little money, you need a gasket set to go with it, but you should see an immediate difference.

Cheers

Pete
thanks very much i'll be on it: Icon-biggrin:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back