Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

error code 14

dave smith

Country Flag
england
Hello every one its been a long time but I am back! Bought another Collie '97 R 144k miles in Black and VX trim I love it and had forgotten how good they are.

Its been running as It should for the last week then all of a sudden climeing a hill it started to lose power as if the fuel supply had gone then it stopped. It started straight away with no fuss again lost power, engine light on and again stopped but started up again straight away.

The fault code is showing up as 14 crank sensor. I looked at the connector and they look in good order, this issue seems to be getting worse. I am going to change the fuel filter to see if that helps and re set the fault. But in the mean time has anyone else come across this and what was the remedy?

Regards Dave

I've seen this in other vehicles. The solution is to replace the crank position sensor.

If it was a European car I would guess the crank position may actually be gone, but on these I kinda doubt it, but I could be wrong....

I would check fuel supply lines, in tank filter and then re-access if the problem is still there. Sometimes lack of fuel can misinterpret signals and leading to wrong error codes being given. These trucks are on the low side for electronics and diagnosing them is best in a more mechanical mind set.

I've had this problem with an old Land Rover Disco I have, but no fault codes as it doesn't have an ECU. The problem was with the pickup in the bottom of the tank getting gunged up with a gel like substance from the diesel. On the Disco the pickup has a small pot at the bottom to hold a certain amount of diesel for steep inclines, it also has a hole at the top for normal driving, the trouble was that when the tank got below the top hole it wouldn't pick much derv up due to the gunge and the engine would lose power and just tick over, stop for a while and the pot would fill up and it would carry on again until it drained or I topped the tank up. I don't know if the LC has the same system but it must have something similar due to the type of use the car is designed for so worth checking pus change all filters.
As Beau says the ECU can misinterpret signals into giving the wrong codes, as any Renault owner can verify :0

I have replaced the fuel filter and blown the fuel line through with a good powerfull air line. The problem was solved for about 40 miles then re occured, I checked the timing belt and everything is ok and tensioner ok so I reset the computer and all seems to be ok again for the time being. At a guess its going to do it again, how do I test the crank position sensor? I guess that this could well be the issue.

Thanks for the replies.

I have replaced the fuel filter and blown the fuel line through with a good powerfull air line. The problem was solved for about 40 miles then re occured, I checked the timing belt and everything is ok and tensioner ok so I reset the computer and all seems to be ok again for the time being. At a guess its going to do it again, how do I test the crank position sensor? I guess that this could well be the issue.

Thanks for the replies.

You can normally test them by reading the resistance across it. I'm not too sure what the values should be though. I know on a VW golf for example the values are in the 800ohm -1000ohm bracket...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I will give that a try at £90 its an expensive part if it isnt the problem.

Cheers Dave

Well I have done it been to see Mr T today and ordered a crank position sensor. I have also spent some money at Milners,

The shopping list:
1 crank sensor
2 timing belt
3 filter
4 new crank for my Hilux
5 big end, and main bearing shells and thrust washers
6 full belt kit
7 new clutch
8 finally 25l of semi synthetic oil for the pair of them!

OUCH but at the weekend I should have two fully functioning Toyota 4x4's again

fitted the new sensor and all seems ok up yo now! what an awkward job that was not easy to get to made even worse by snapping the old one doh!Got there in the end though. Timing belt, oil and filter next. At least the timing belt looks easy to do unlike thr one on the Hilux.

Yep, timing belt is a piece of cake on these motors!

A return to error 14 with different symptoms now! Just like I am driving with the brakes on (its an auto bye the way) I am going to change the transmission fluid, it looks ok and the level is correct but it has had a new rad at some point so may have some water in it maybe. Any ideas?

Back