Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ever seen a VZJ90 with removable back-top ??

Hi Jack, that has to be one rare beast. Looking at the inside body shot it looks to me like it’s either a prototype or a very clever conversion, as weld marks are visible. I think there’s a way to find out what spec a vehicle left the factory with but I’m not sure how or where it’s done. I expect someone like @Beau might know. Nice find.

The first pic suggests to me its a customized modification , albeit well done . I'd like to see the interior where the hinges meet the roof .

Very cool and most likely one of a kind. More pics would be great

I've always wished the rear window would roll down like the 4runner/surf models. It would mean fetching long pieces of wood and other stuff so much easier. Split tailgate designs are so practical.

I like the conversion of the rear into a useful luggage space. Much better than the normal, useless swoops and curves.

On the other hand I'm not sure I'm interested in the concept of a Toyota Colorado pickup... That's why they make the Hilux, no? Although this conversion does at least solve the modern problem of ever-more-massive pickups. And it is a neat piece of home engineering (assuming it doesn't leak).

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I wonder if it was like the high roof conversions that the Dutch did on the SWB and MWB Land Cruisers; they had to be able to carry a certain volume - this might have been the easiest way to do it to meet the Danish rules?

I was just thinking the same Ed. The Danes do all kinds of mods to get around the sky-high duty on private cars - removing seats, blacking out windows, installing beds, etc.

I wonder if it was like the high roof conversions that the Dutch did on the SWB and MWB Land Cruisers; they had to be able to carry a certain volume - this might have been the easiest way to do it to meet the Danish rules?

Hi Ed, i think this is how they met the Danish rules indeed.
Also registered in Denmark as a commercial vehicle, so it makes sense in that way.
Only question .... what is the cost of this conversion ?
And will the cost benefit ?
In Holland the benefit of a commercial vehicle is about 800 euro / year, with a conversion price of 1500,= euro's. The Danish conversion looks more expensive and rare.
I'am going to drive it here as a one of a kind (pick-up) commercial vehicle .... road taxes approximate 35,= euro / month.
As soon as it's completely ready, and i got my dutch license plates some more pictures will come on ....

Back