Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fibre in to house computer connection.

frank rabbets

Guru
There will be fibre directly in to my house soon. I assume they will fit an output box just inside the wall. Now my computer is 40 ft away from the likely position and they will not want to crawl under the floor to where I moved their BT box to to get it next to my computer. Can I join my computer to their fibre box wirelessly ? or could I possibly have a sort wire from their box to a transmitter to connect to my computer. Searched all morning and nobody knows.

Is it fibre to the premise or fibre to the cabinet, unless stated as fibre to the premise I'm 99.9% sure it's going to be fibre to the cabinet. If the stated speed isn't above 80mb I'd guess it's fibre to the cabinet as well. Either way, it will terminate at their hardware, which will be a router or modem. Normally it will be a router so all you need to do is get the Wifi credentials off the back of the device and connect to it from your computer.

Hi Steve,
Fibre in to house. I just realised my new computer is wireless so I assume I can plug my router directly in to their box, or, as you say, their box will be WIFI. Hopefully going from 0.6 Mbs to hundreds of Mbs.

If i remember correctly Frank your with talktalk and and if you moved to someone else to get fibre i feel very confident in saying your about to find out why talktalk should have been paying you for all those years of diabolical service .

In the house they just change the wall phone socket and thats it , plug your router in like you always did and put the wifi password into your computer job done .

Thanks Shayne. I changed to plusnet some time ago. Not much better. Nobody can improve the long ancient copper wires openreach supply.

After years pointlessly complaining to talktalk i went with plusnet and 3 times in as many weeks they sent engineers out to climb telegraph poles near my house , they didn't even charge me for it :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
With FTTP you’ll probably get an FTTP specific modem and a Hub/router. The modem basically converts the light signal from the fibre into an electrical one which the router and hence your PC can handle. The Hub/router should have wireless connectivity. If your computer is an old one Frank it may not benefit form the huge increase in speed.

My old computer ground to a halt so my son in law built me a new one. I know nothing about computers but the parts came from www.cclonline.com and cost £400. That's all I know lol.

Back