Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

First time buyer , land cruiser colorado

Tim91

Country Flag
uk
Hi all , new to the forum. I'm looking at a w reg Colorado to buy just wondering what I should look out for , common errors etc.

It's on 120.000 miles 3L diesal

Do they have a cam belt or timing chain ?

Tim

Tim welcome along to the forum. The main 2 items on a 90 series you need to look at pre purchase are both to do with corrosion. The body can suffer corrosion along and to the rear inner and outer sills and round the rear body mounts, the latter being MOT testable . The second area of concern is the state of the rear axle as due to poor drainage the upper turrets which link to the top trailing arms can corrode away and break off needing involved surgery or axle replacement.
BTW they have a cam belt but it is a very substantial thing and unlikely to fail if recommended mileage is exceeded.

If its an auto then a replacement radiator is always a good sign ( or a remote cooler).
There are obviously many more factors others will come up with to add to these items and others will be along to do the adding I hope.

What are you planning to do with this truck Tim? If it's a standard/unmodified car & hasn't been off roaded 120K miles isn't lots but many of the components will be original.Mine was similar in mileage & when I started using it every day off road the first thing to start going was the suspension bushes.since then it's had 2x anti roll bars , brakes & shocks all round , wheel bearings , CV joints , UJs on the propshafts & of course tyres.it's now 19 years old & showing 206 K miles.So be prepared to spend if you're keeping it long term but you can weigh this against the cost of a bran new one.

Thanks for the replies , I'm jumping from the land rover ship and will be using the truck for work and as a tow car for my modified Suzuki Jimny so I can get about and do some events further afield. I'm a gardener so looking for something that I can get all my tools in etc and be able to drive it over the big estate I work for.

The Colorado is standard and hasn't been abused.

Last edited:
I prefer the 1KZTE, simpler engine. The D4D has intercooler and more power but more in the way of sensors which I don't like.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It's one of the early d4d , I went and looked at it Wednesday and was really happy with it. Gave it a good look around and everything was working on it , center+rear diff locks , auto box was very smooth and nice to drive. Collecting it next weekend

Well done Tim, a lovely smooth ride they have - enjoy it. What plans do you have for it?

It's one of the early d4d , I went and looked at it Wednesday and was really happy with it. Gave it a good look around and everything was working on it , center+rear diff locks , auto box was very smooth and nice to drive. Collecting it next weekend

Cant fault your choice, I've done 600 miles this weekend in mine, got 30 mpg and enjoyed every mile. This trip was enhanced with the re covered steering wheel from our KW and the retro fitted cruise control.

Picked it up during the week , really pleased with the truck so much nicer to drive than my old defender and so many more toys/extra's on the car

IMG_2053.JPG

The plans for the truck are mainly to be used for work. I've also got a Suzuki jimny which I off road so will towing that about with the collie.

I do want to lift it abit and get some bigger MUDs on there for abit of green laning. What do you guys go for with the lift kits on the Colorado's? The ride comfort/handling is great so don't want to jeopardise it to much but do fancy a little lift , is there a spacer kit roughly 2" or is it brand new suspension kits etc ?

The plans for the truck are mainly to be used for work. I've also got a Suzuki jimny which I off road so will towing that about with the collie.

I do want to lift it abit and get some bigger MUDs on there for abit of green laning. What do you guys go for with the lift kits on the Colorado's? The ride comfort/handling is great so don't want to jeopardise it to much but do fancy a little lift , is there a spacer kit roughly 2" or is it brand new suspension kits etc ?

Its everyone to their own on this one but as soon as you as you deviate from standard you compromise something.
I've a petrol low mileage Collie totally standard and a D4D Collie with a 2" lift ( Pedder front and Pedder damper with Pro Comp spring rear) . On all surfaces, and there are some rough ones round here , the petrol one glides over fully composed, not shaking from side to side, just as a road biased truck should. However the lifted one has less composure, obviously with a higher centre of gravity and does have more side to side movement.( I'e noticed more when I'm in the passenger side). The lifted one is nice on the motorway but you have to remember its lifted when you hang it into the roundabout off the slip road.
Some of these lifted springs assume the vehicle is going to be kitted up as they have a greater spring rate and end up with a harsh ride unless loaded up then they have an even higher centre of gravity so its only a win on one area.
Lots of others have lifted their Collies but everyones requirements/expectations will be different.

Back