Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Formula 1 - too dangerous - what pish.

the issue for me is why was a manitou on the track picking up a crashed car? because a full sized crane costs too much.Also the helicopter was grounded so the race should have been stopped.add to this the pressure to start the race in bad conditions & not wanting to finish under a safety car.All the above comments about being brave etc.were thrown at Jackie Stuart as he campaigned for better safety in the 60s & 70s but he didnt want to die because of stupidity or for lack of resources.
Niki Lauda retired from the Japanese GP in 1976 after 2 laps because of the appalling conditions - someone who nobody would say lacked balls.

I think it's fair to say that, at that time, Niki Lauda was still haunted by his well documented, near fatal Nurburgring crash earlier in the season and understandably so. Didn't stop him winning two more world championships though, that's bravery. Jackie Stewart was certainly accused of being 'scared' but he was still winning races and even championships at the time so the name calling didn't really count for much.

I think it's fair to say that, at that time, Niki Lauda was still haunted by his well documented, near fatal Nurburgring crash earlier in the season and understandably so.

bit like massa I think

F1 isn't in the same league now as it was in the 60s and 70s. It was way too dangerous. I don't want to see people dying in fireballs on a Sunday afternoon thanks, I see enough death in my day job. However, we have to accept, motorsport is dangerous, people will get injured and occasionally people will die. we can mitigate the risk to a reasonable level but if you want interesting motorsport, you cannot eliminate it. If people can't accept that, they're in the wrong business. No one has died in F1 since senna, I think that's quite an achievement and a sign that we do not need to throw our hands up in horror and have a knee jerk reaction. Leave it the fuck alone!

Last edited:
Back