Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

France / Swiss Alps region in June 2016.

wobbly

Garage
Hi all,

I am off to France on 26th June for a 10ish 10 day trip down to the Grenoble sort of area.

Trip theme is 'Balcony Roads', and we are planning some high level tracks.

If anyone fancies it, feel free to join in.

Outbound Southampton on 26th June, return Southampton 6/7 July.

Will be about 1600miles, camping or cheap motels.

Pete

Sounds interesting Pete, I'll have to check with her indoors, I think she's booked something around that time.

Hi Pete,
the alps are fantastic!
hopefully the high passes will be free of snow already.
I don't know if you have it all planned already. This site gives a lot of up to date info on different routes based on comments of people who have driven them. It's in German. With gpx downloads: http://alpenrouten.de/
i'll be going to the alps in august september. Wanted to go last year in early june but too much snow, so went to Sardinia instead.
have fun!

All booked :)

Two vehicles so far, room for one or two more.

If anyone fancies navigating there is a spare seat in my mates truck.

sounds like a fun trip.

my work travel overload has meant that our family travel plans are more or less on hold at the moment, otherwise we'd have considered joining you guys.

I live in this region,(near Annecy) . Would be happy to meet you, however only for a day or 2 as summer is our busy season work wise. Believe it or not we have yet to explore the tracks in our region so happy to come along for a bit if that's ok?

can even offer a bbq at the house one day too!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Two trips this year :)

French Alps & Tabernas hopefully - have to fit in with missus's holiday in Sept.

Been doing some reserch for the first element - balcony roads.

Have a list of 14 roughly south of Grenoble in the national parks around the Vercors area.

Most are on here:

www.dangerousroads.org

Mussy

Im looking at routes at the moment, pm me your location and I will try and work you into the itinerary!

Steves place is too far West for this trip but will be visited in October :)

I found the best trails to be the old salt roads on the Italian side
Working north from nice to sestriere

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have to say Mr wobbly, i'd have loved to of joined you, i just can't get the time off. Went to Switzerland a few years ago (in the bm), that was amazing.

Ive skied in Sestriere, did a downhill slalom with Alberto Tomba [emoji634]

I will be in Switzerland about then with my good lady!
Booked a 2 week holiday driving over to Austria, Tirol on the 18th for 1 week then off to Switzerland for the second, just visiting the mountains so no real plans
Would be nice to hook up for a brew if nothing else!
Simon

We're planning routes around Italian mountain forts as a part of the trip, so it will be France/Swit/Italy, lots of sightseeing!

Hi Pete,
just stumbled across this, its the regulation for the access to the old mountain fort roads to and around col de tende. If you don't plan to go there, or you already know it, pls ignore this post.

80 cars/day max.
15 euro/car. There will be permanent checkpoints.
Vehicle dimensions : l max 5,5m, h max 2,5m, w max 2m including mirrors.
no trailers.
One person can ask permission for max 2 cars.
I copied this. from their website (http://www.stradaexmilitare-monesi-colleditenda.com/fr/)

On the stretch of road between the place called The Shuttle (Phylum to Upega - Briga Alta Municipality) and the locality Cabanaira (Municipality of Limone Piemonte), access and traffic on the road to all vehicles engine are prohibited except grant a specific authorization of movement;
The traffic authorizations can be issued according to the category of users and are either seasonal or temporary or daily;
Daily permits are issued to two access points and control located at a place called The Shuttle (Phylum to Upega - Briga Alta Municipality) and the locality Cabanaira (Municipality of Limone Piemonte); they are subject to a fee towards the costs of management and maintenance of the territory served by the road which users must pay in cash at the time of access on the road: 15 € for cars (limited to 80 cars per day) and 10 € for other motor vehicles (motorcycles, quads, etc., limited to 140 per day).

i'll check out how to obtain the permissions or if you already did, can you post it here or pm me?

http://www.stradaexmilitare-monesi-.../Regolamento_provvisorio_rev0_maggio_2015.pdf

Btw, I think its worthwhile to get the permission. I defo will go there in september
here is the description from alpenrouten.de and some nice pictures when you click on the tab 'bilder'. http://alpenrouten.de/Ligurische-Grenzkammstrasse-Nord_track57.html

Btw 2 : Jafferau tunnel was blocked in september 2015 by 1,5m high walls.

Regards,
wout

Last edited:
Thanks, ive forwarded the info to the lad who is planning the mountain side of things.

looking forward to going, a welcome break.

Day 1 & 2 spent travelling.

camped last night in rear garden of friendly couple into overlanding :)

first day in Vercors today, great drives along some 'interesting' roads, lots of small tunnels!

same planned for tommorrow, then over to italy for unsurfaced routes.

all good so far

Cant upload photos atm.

days 3 & 4 excellent, hard to imagine these roads are in use!

two tracks closed by landslides, one opened to let us through, jeez I was crapping myself! Section of road and retaining wall gone, I squeezed by and foolishly looked down, nothing but air for 1800metres.

will do a better write up when I get home.

Back