Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fridge or fridge / freezer

AndrewT

Ok I think I have made my mind up, but what is the forum opinion, which is best to have: a fridge or a fridge freezer?

There is merit in both and downsides to both so, what would you guys buy for your truck now?

Ps I am looking at quailty products not cheap stuff

Can you swing it to 1 of each?

Best really.

I know they are not cheap, but it also gives you some sort of backup, to keep the beer cold.

Gra.

I used an Engel 45l fridge for a few years and I've now got a National Luna 50l twin fridge/freezer, I've only done one trip with the National Luna and so far it's been very good, the fridge compartment is not 'quite' as big as the Engel was but not by much.
I am always on my own when travelling, in a group yes, but on my own in the vehicle, so I don't need to carry masses of food, I usually end up with stuff from others who don't have a fridge (for things like cold drinks I would just put them in the fridge a few at a time when needed) and having the separate freezer as well is a big bonus. The Engel worked fine for all the time I had it which was about 4 yrs and I never had any problems at all, mind you the temp readout never worked all the time I had it, I think it was the small battery inside that I never got round to replacing, I used one of those temp readouts you would put in your kitchen fridge instead to monitor the temp.
All in all I prefer the NL over the Engel but really only because of the freezer, so if you don't particularly need a freezer I would go for the Engel and save a lot on the purchase. :thumbup:

So to continue the story... Chas's Engel had a few sleep-over's at Karl's house, but thesedays it is keeping my drinks cold in the flat (Mrs do not really appreciate a few alcoholic beverages taking up the space for the salad in HER fridge :naughty: )

The temperature display have a small watch battery (LR44 or CR2036) at the back which need to be replaced about every 18months. I've stripped it down to clean it till she shined like new use it daily. These things usually just keeps on working... Our previous one came loose from the tie-downs in the back of the pickup on a challenging corrugated road in Angola. Being a pickup we did not know about this until we eventually opend up the back whilst setting up camp after a tough days 4x4'ing to find the Engel on its side at the other side of the truck still going as if nothing was wrong (but a few battlescars)...

What I've heard and plan to do for our trans-Africa trip is to use a bit of cuttingboard or foam which you cut to size and use as a lid inside the Engel. The reasoning is that this lid isolates the bottom of the fridge, hence keeping stuff placed here much colder (see it as the freezer compartment) than the stuff at the top as everytime you open the top lid cold air escapes and warm air enters the fridge. [Think back to science class: the cold air goes to the bottom and warm air rise...)

Engel / National Luna / ARB, they are all robust appliances and are really not to much different if all you want to do is keep your perishable goods and "precious goods" (i.e. beer) cold. I think budget or specific requirement will be the main factors in the decision at to which one.

But definately good to have one!!! :thumbup:

Ducktape said:
So to continue the story... Chas's Engel had a few sleep-over's at Karl's house, but thesedays it is keeping my drinks cold in the flat (Mrs do not really appreciate a few alcoholic beverages taking up the space for the salad in HER fridge :naughty: )
Nice to hear it's still serving it's purpose :thumbup:

One point that might be worth reviewing is how much power the fridge will draw on your battery system?

If you are only going to use the fridge while the vehicle is running /driving then there should not a problem with how much you draw on the battery system. However if you are planning on camping or parking up the vehicle with the fridge running, the amount of power that the fridge draws could have a negative effect on your battery. Hopefully you have a designated leisure battery and split charging system and the worst that happens is that you have warm beer.

I would suggest you pack an extension cable to run the fridge on mains where available.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I can set my Waeco CF-50 to -1 and the battery will last for almost 3 days with out starting to charge. It is running on a Numaw cvx-27 (I think).

Paul

I can't say for the Nat Luna because I haven't been in a similar situation, but my Engel was on at the Newark show keeping the beers cold a couple of years ago for three days without the engine being started and it didn't flatten the batteries :thumbup:

Running from a "Yellow Top 5.5" with a Nat Luna, -10º, freezer part full and the fridge full, ambient temp 32º, fridge ran for 46 hours before low battery alarm went off.

Current draw is rated at 1.53- 2.6a/h, so with my 75ah battery should run for, circa 49hrs at best and worst 29 hours!

Thanks folks, a lot of good info here. The battery system is not an issue I have a three battery system with 110ah leisure in the back on split charge and a direct feed to the fridge whilst the car is running.

I have had a long think and I my preference will be for a fridge freezer, there has not really been a strong argument for either, other than a recommendation to get one of each!, but sadly my truck is too small for that!

Cheers
A

You have to bear in mind that a combination fridge/freezer will compromise the capacity of both so get the biggest you can afford.
The Nat Luna doesn't have separate temperature controls for both, it works by keeping the freezer 10 degrees below whatever you set the fridge for, works fine though, I set the fridge for +5 and it kept some Magnum ice lollies solid all the way to Croatia last year :thumbup:

Back